Need Help with SSD Problem

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I bought this Solid State Drive as an OS / Application Drive for my new system about 2.5 months ago. I started noticing yesterday (when I moved my two games onto the SSD) that my two games, League of Legends and Starcraft II, are momentarily locking up when an "event trigger" occurs. Event triggers are when such actions as casting spells, placing buildings, etc occur. I also previously noticed this on World of Warcraft when I had it on my SSD. However, when I move them onto my storage drive, a 1TB HD103SJ, no such lock ups occur. I haven't noticed it affecting Windows operation yet but I will update this post if I do. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Drivers, faulty drive, cables, motherboard, etc.

System Specs:
Intel i5-2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro (new version w/o Cougar Point fault)
4 GB (2x2GB) of G.Skill 1600 Mhz Ripjaws
MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Crucial C300 64GB
1TB Samsung HD103SJ
Cooler Master 750W
HAF 922
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Solution

machkator

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

I bought the same drive but the 128GB version of it which should be little faster than yours. I had the same issues. Turns out this is a very common issue for this drive. Google for "League of Legends ssd" and "crucial c300 stutter issue". Here is how to fix it on windows 7:
Update to latest version (Service Pack 1 etc.)
1. Download "intel rapid storage technology" from intel's site and install it.
2. Google how to turn off LPM through regedit.
3. Disable LPM.
4. Reboot.
5. LoL doesn't lock up any more. I haven't had the chance to test the drive with starcraft 2 because I stopped playing it after I got addicted to LoL.
Note: LoL actually loads slower from ssd. I will be setting it up on my regular drive today leaving only windows on the ssd.

Other tweaks: I disabled defrag, system restore and file indexing.

If you need any help you can contact me directly. Will be glad to help.

My specs
Intel i7 bloomfield 920 D0 2.66 ghz stock with turbo on.
Gygabite ga-x58x-ud3r rev. 1.0 wit F6 bios
Crucial ballistix 3x2gb tripple channel DDR3 at 1600 with xmp enabled
XFX Radeon HD 4980
Crucial c300 SSD 128GB with firmware 006
1 640 gb 7200 rpm western digital hdd caviar blue 16 mb cache
1 500 gb --------------------------------- caviar black 32 mb cache
Antec 902 case
win 7 64 bit sp1
ubuntu 11.04
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 fully working

Solution

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Yeah, I found those steps on the crucial forums a while back and they did the trick. I also believe that the new firmware update is supposed to solve the problem as well. Information will be useful for anyone looking for help though.

machkator

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Yes the 007 fw update is supposed to address the issue but it doesn't work for everybody and a lot of people are experiencing slower read and write speeds after upgrading to it. I didn't update to it because turning LPM off did fix my problem.

Out of curiousity, does starcraft 2 load faster than when it was on a spinning drive? What about other games?

Also are you plugged into the intel sata 2 port or marvell sata 3. From what I've read intel sata 2 performs better and marvell is supposedly buggy.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I've been using it on my Intel SATA 3 port. For starcraft 2, I've noticed that the game gets to the login faster than it did before but other than that I don't notice much of an increase. In WoW, all of the loading heavy things go faster (opening WoW, logging in, switching zones etc.). League of Legends seems to load myself into the game faster but that's about it. Haven't played any other games on my SSD due to space constraints.