Intel's SSDs

sub mesa

Distinguished
But all-in-all the controller is the component setting the performance level, not the flash chips themselves.

And the Micron SDRAM is the DRAM chip; not the flash NAND chips.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Intel plans on putting SDD on the motherboard lets say enough to put OS on so in theory it will be just as fast as RAM o_O That certianly will be a nice feature; this will come next year as it is evident that SDD are going down in price as time passes by

Any links to back this up or just speculation?

@Op, Intel makes both the controller and flash chips them self.
It is an in house design and is not licensed from hitachi, micron or anyone else.
The above mentioned 32Mb Micron SDRAM chip (for the G2 drives, the G1's used a 16Mb Samsung chip) is an off die cache for the controller, not the storage flash memory.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Just rumor I heard on the web but definitly not far fetched considering intel has both SDD and motherboards; be simular to the intergrated the memory controler

endorphines

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

but even if they did the memory used in ssds and in ram are two entirely different technollogies. Flash is not nearly as fast as ram so putting an ssd on the motherboard does not mean it will have the same performance.

There may be some niche markets where that would be desirable, but I doubt that most enthusiasts would be interested. I for one would be very concerned about the upgradability of such a system. SSDs on PCIe cards make a lot more sense to me.

And endorphines is totally correct - flash memory is never going to be as fast as RAM because of it's basic architecture.