Buying Corsair TX650

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello guys,

I intend to purchase a Corsair TX650 to power AM3 Phenom II x4 955 and crossfire-compatible board. I know that this power supply can provide sufficient juice to power two 4890s. However, it lacks the necessary connectors, making it a less preferred choice. My question is, has anyone tried running 4890 in crossfire with this power supply using adapters? Did you come across any problems? Is that viable?

Solution
buzznut - The high quality Corsair TX650 that alikum selected has a final sale price of $79.99 at newegg.com. It's an excellent sale price and it can definitely handle the 4890's. Unfortunately it only comes with two 75 watt PCI-e 6 pin connectors. A Corsair psu with two additional 6 pin connectors is going to cost $20.00 to $30.00 more depending on the model. You also have to take into consideration we have visitors who are on a budget. It's also why Tom's Hardware always includes a budget build in the system builder marathon articles.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Using the molex to pcie 6/8 pins isn't recommend when you can avoid it. It most likely would run just fine but i would avoid changing the volts during a OC or really OCing it at all. I've only ran one card using those adapters the booted up and seemed to run just fine, after all why would they give you those adapters if they didn't work at all.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
@IzzyCraft
Well, I don't intend to OC the display card at all. I do OC the CPU however. I agree with you but oh well, I just want to make sure that it's safe to use the adapters before I purchase. I just wonder why Corsair TX650 doesn't come with 4 cables instead?

Out of curiosity, why is it people have no problem spending tons of money on all these video cards then insist on spending less than $100 on the power to make it go?

I really don't understand why people insist on skimping on their power supply. I just don't get it.

buzznut - The high quality Corsair TX650 that alikum selected has a final sale price of $79.99 at newegg.com. It's an excellent sale price and it can definitely handle the 4890's. Unfortunately it only comes with two 75 watt PCI-e 6 pin connectors. A Corsair psu with two additional 6 pin connectors is going to cost $20.00 to $30.00 more depending on the model. You also have to take into consideration we have visitors who are on a budget. It's also why Tom's Hardware always includes a budget build in the system builder marathon articles.

Solution

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
@buzznut

JohnnyLucky hit the nail. I am on a tight budget and really wouldn't want to blow it because TX650 is way more than sufficient to power a mid-high end rig with *only* 2 graphics cards. Judging by the way things are going, components are becoming more energy efficient like 5000s.

I do not need some top end graphics cards. Actually, I was eyeing on 5770 (requires only one connector) prior to its release, hoping it to be at 4890 level. However, review showed otherwise. It cannot even best the 4870 in some instances.

Hopefully AMD releases 5790(?) in two weeks time as a solution to my problem :D

As for Johnny, thanks for the links. I'll wait for another two weeks to see how things play out.

TRENDING THREADS