Help: Need a four monitor display on two GTX 275s

theLonelyTrader

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Need help. I'm trying to set up four displays on two GTX 275s, but all I can get is three. I've searched the fora and Nvidia's site, to no avail. Drivers are all current. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is my system capable of accomodating one desktop across four displays? Or is there some workaround solution, like splitting the primaries of each GPU into two monitors each? (Essentially fooling the GPUs that I am only running two displays...) I'm at wits end and thought I would put it out to Tom's braintrust here. Ideas?

System:
2x NEC 1940cx display
2x NEC 1740cx display
Core i7-920 Nehalem
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 275
6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 SDRAM
Corsair 750W PSU
Scythe Mugen 2 heatsink
WD Caviar Black 640GB HD
Samsung 22x DVD RW

theLonelyTrader

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah, SLI is disabled. Frankly, I'm mystified. Have read through this forum and others, as well as NVidia's forum, and everyone seems to dance around the issue of four displays on two GTX GPUs. The question starts out well, but the answers all seem to focus on three displays -- or just "multiple monitors", meaning two. I've tried to call Nvidia, but they aren't answering and I doubt whether they will even reply to my emails.

What do you think?

dvanholland

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
What operating system are you running (I'm assuming Vista or Windows 7 since you have windows ratings)? Are you currently trying to configure it with the Nvidia Control panel or the windows panel? Do you have the newest drivers?

theLonelyTrader

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Problem solved. The most current driver for Nvidia 200 series -- v. 190.xx or something like that -- didn't play well with the GTX 275 / vista 64 bit combination. I installed an archived version from the Nvidia website -- 185.xx -- which did work. I now have four working displays.

I didn't do this on my own. Spent a lot of time on the phone with an EVGA rep. (Who was outstanding, by the way.) I don't think I'll ever buy a GPU from another manufacturer. And I'll probably buy my next mobo through them as well. They have seriously won me over.

Lessons learned for me:

1. Check all the GPU display settings and ensure the OS supports multiple displays.

2. Ensure current drivers are installed. Clean up any previous versions or uninstalled/reinstalled versions with Driver Sweeper first.

3. If the driver installed doesn't work the first time around, check the version of the driver. Even the most current versions may not work properly. I had to install a previous driver version.

If that doesn't work, come back to this forum or call the manufacturer!