Janet

After my computer was infected with the blaster worm, I
was still having problems so a tech rep with HP had me
looking at the configuration manager. I read off the
entries, and when I read "msblast", he had me uncheck
it. I did run Microsoft's updates that were supposed to
remove this, but it remains. The entry in the msconfig
files is: item: msblast command: msblast.exe
location: SOFTWARE\microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
Since all of the other items on the list, command starts
with C:, I don't know where this is stored. I've tried
to use the find option to locate it, but find does not
locate any file or folder with the name "msblast". Can
you tell me where to look for it?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:29:54 -0700, "Janet"
>After my computer was infected with the blaster worm, I
>was still having problems so a tech rep with HP had me
>looking at the configuration manager. I read off the
>entries, and when I read "msblast", he had me uncheck
>it. I did run Microsoft's updates that were supposed to
>remove this, but it remains. The entry in the msconfig

You might try the appropriate removal tool here
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Hi

Have you tried this article:

"Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826955

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Janet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| After my computer was infected with the blaster worm, I
| was still having problems so a tech rep with HP had me
| looking at the configuration manager. I read off the
| entries, and when I read "msblast", he had me uncheck
| it. I did run Microsoft's updates that were supposed to
| remove this, but it remains. The entry in the msconfig
| files is: item: msblast command: msblast.exe
| location: SOFTWARE\microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
| Since all of the other items on the list, command starts
| with C:, I don't know where this is stored. I've tried
| to use the find option to locate it, but find does not
| locate any file or folder with the name "msblast". Can
| you tell me where to look for it?

The msconfig entry sounds like an item in the registry.
Unless you have knowledge and experience in registry
backup and editing, I would look for an msblaster removal
tool using a search engine on the internet. A mistake in
editing the registry could make a very expensive door stop
out of the PC.