Sign in with
Your question

Did I damage my motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2010 2:41:18 PM

When installing my motherboard into the case, I tightened the bolts that hold the motherboard down rather tight. I thought about it later and loosened them, removing one to see if I did anything to the board. There seems to be these solder points around the hole where the screw goes and they were damaged. Will this in any way affect the board? Or are the solder points there for that reason? The board works fine and I am writing this message from the computer its in. Thanks!

More about : damage motherboard

January 9, 2010 3:09:57 AM

I am guessing I didn't due to no replies lol. Just checking, I hate the thought of me ruining any hardware of mine.
January 9, 2010 3:46:57 AM

um... if its working good, then leave it, but if you have any skill at soldering, you could fix them.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 3:52:04 AM

It's unlikely that you did any damage. As long as you got the brass mounts and the screws in the correct holes, you should be fine.
January 9, 2010 3:55:38 AM

aford10 said:
It's unlikely that you did any damage. As long as you got the brass mounts and the screws in the correct holes, you should be fine.

It seems that way. The little solder balls (I guess you could call them that) around the screw holes are still there just slightly flattened and scrapped a bit. I didn't crunch the board or anything. Its going to bother me though, I may go exchange it and use some nylon washers.
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 3:57:33 AM

You don't need washers. Those are contact points made for your screws.
January 9, 2010 4:00:35 AM

aford10 said:
You don't need washers. Those are contact points made for your screws.

I see, I had just read in that washers could be used to prevent exactly what I did. Has this happened to you before? I mean I think even had I applied less pressure on the first install they would have done the same thing.
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 4:11:28 AM

I usually tighten the screws to the point where a normal force won't turn anymore. I don't REALLY wrench on them.

Is the system running fine?
January 9, 2010 4:19:25 AM

aford10 said:
I usually tighten the screws to the point where a normal force won't turn anymore. I don't REALLY wrench on them.

Is the system running fine?

Ok thats the force I applied. And slightly less the second time. Board is running fine, no crashes etc.
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 2:08:30 PM

JDV28 said:
um... if its working good, then leave it, but if you have any skill at soldering, you could fix them.

No. It will take more than "any skill at soldering".

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it.

You have not damaged your motherboard.
January 9, 2010 6:02:21 PM

pcman09 said:
When installing my motherboard into the case, I tightened the bolts that hold the motherboard down rather tight. I thought about it later and loosened them, removing one to see if I did anything to the board. There seems to be these solder points around the hole where the screw goes and they were damaged. Will this in any way affect the board? Or are the solder points there for that reason? The board works fine and I am writing this message from the computer its in. Thanks!

If its working, it ain't broken.

Judging from the question I'm guessing you have no previous skill with soldering, so don't do it. Just leave it.
a b V Motherboard
January 9, 2010 6:18:58 PM

If the board is working then you did not damage anything - the more important thing is that you have all of the standoffs under those points installed to keep the soldered parts on the back of the board from touching the case - since adding the expansion cards etc. can cause the MOBO to warp and wind up shorting out when it touches the case if the standoffs are not used properly.
June 2, 2010 1:54:06 AM

I am having a similar problem and it's kinda scaring me. I was installing my motherboard and the IO Shield Plate was giving me some trouble so I decided to try and install it without the plate. It installed fine but I noticed that some of the screws won't tighten all the way. They keep turning and turning. Is this normal? Did I short circuit something? This is my first build and I DON'T wanna have to buy another mobo... for the price and the embarassment.
April 11, 2014 12:24:34 PM

from what i heard, those solder points by the screw holes are ground points for the motherboard, i could be wrong, it's just something i've read.
!