Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Here are my specs:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
RAM: OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible

I've never made a AMD machine so maybe I am doing something wrong. I first thought the mobo was bad then the CPU. Both are new now and I am still having the same issue of having no video output. I have 2 x 2gig memory for 4gigs total that I bought that I thought maybe were bad. So I took 4gigs out of my Gaming machine. Also DDR 800, still no video. So I took all 8gigs out of my gaming rig and put them in the machine... still nothing.

This isn't the first time I've made a custom built PC but I just can't wrap my head around this I guess. Do you need to do something extra with an AMD processor that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated ... I'm going to lose it.

Thank you

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
#2 is not the problem. That is plugged in. I even used my Gaming PSU and it didn't work. I have the 8pin and 20pin plugged into the Motherboard.

~Death Dream~

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Ok great. This is a step foward. Something I was not aware of either.

I have never had to do a flash before so I'm going to ask a question again.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/HowToReflashBIOS.aspx

They recommend 3 bios flashing software, what do you like the most?

Also, would I just go with F2 or should I go ahead and go with F4?

I was reading up on flashing a bios and it says if you have no video but your harddrive and cd player start blinking like crazy it is most likely do to a bad bios. And that is what is happening.

Thank you :)

Make sure the power cable is properly inserted. Even if you think it is you may simply have not fully inserted it all the way. Since you have a 20+4pin connector the last 4 pins can be moved out of the way to fit older boards. It's easy for these to accidentally cause the connector to be improperly connected if you are not careful. Do the same for the 8pin cable. Make sure you plugged in the 8 pin cable properly and that you didn't do something like accidentally try and use a PCI-E connector for it. Make sure that your CMOS isn't set to clear :D.

Do you get any beeps at all?

For some reason, my work internet proxy is blocking the link you posted so I don't know what BIOS update directions you're looking at. I would upgrade to the newest possible BIOS. The safest way (and only way if no OS is installed) is to put the updated BIOS on something like a USB stick and update the BIOS from there. IIRC, though, you'll need a supported CPU installed in order to update the BIOS.

You could get a cheap CPU and use it to update the BIOS and then sell it, or you could try to return your CPU and get a 4850e instead which is supported from the F1 BIOS and only 100 MHz slower.

This is about the cheapest CPU I found that's supported by the F1 BIOS:

AMD Athlon LE-1660 Lima 2.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103296 $43.99

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
You know what sucks about this whole thing .... I was looking at the 4850e originally and that was what I was going to get! But some other person said to get the 5050 its only a few bucks more and faster too. And I said ok -.- Damn me.

The 4850e is deactivated on Newegg now too. I can only probably return it for the LE-1660 >.< why why why why why!!!

This is an HTPC so a 45w is what I want. Do you think a LE-1660 will do the job or are you only recommending that for the flash?

I was just recommending it for the BIOS flash. I wouldn't get too hung up on the 45W rating. It seems like I remember seeing an article that said it didn't really help much with power usage or temps anyway. I would get something like this:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103210 $54.99

You could even try undervolting it if you really want, but 65W will work fine for a HTPC.

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Don't really want to go through the process of soldering parts onto the motherboard. I can't exchange the processor with another one either so either A. I try to sell this processor I bought sadly enough. Or I try to get someone to let me barrow or buy a used processor that will work for me.

~Death Dream~

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I figured your MB had the DualBIOS... but I checked pictures of your board and the chips are not in sockets as I thought they were.

Guess you gotta get a cheap processor to do the update. Any computer shops in your area that might help you with that?? Just a thought.

<edit>
I would just buy the cheapest supported CPU to allow you to do the BIOS update. Then keep it for future use or sell it on ebay.

Death Dream

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Actually asking a few college buddies of mine if they have any AMD processors laying around to let me barrow before I go down that road. Rather not have to spend to much money to do this. If this works I can get it up and running this weekend finally after sitting in my kitchen for almost a month now.

~Death Dream~