Sign in with
Your question

Adding a wireless network adaptor?

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2009 8:12:37 PM

Well, my uncle bought a desktop some time ago, and he asked me to come fix the internet for him :p 

I don't know that much about it, but maybe you guys can help.

Facts:
- He is an internet abonnee, my nephews laptop gets connection in the house
- He has a working wireless router (can't put internetcables into that router to connect the pc like that)

So it has to be wireless (desktop is like 10 metres away from the wireless station)

So now I need to hook that desktop up to the wireless internet, how do I do that?

Probably I'll have to buy a ethernet card or something similar?

Are there different options? Like one you can plug in with USB, or one that you have to install somewhere else?
Will all options work on an average computer, like do I need special ports to install such a device?
How can I see which options will work on that computer when I visit my uncle tomorrow?
What do I buy in the shop and will most likely work?

Thanks guys if you could help me out here :D 
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2009 8:24:02 PM

USB adapter is probably the simplest thing you can do. For best results, try to use the same brand as the router.
July 15, 2009 9:52:54 PM

usb same brand as router will make for the simplest install
Related resources
July 16, 2009 6:26:00 AM

Kej, so I buy an USB one

But the router is a router you get from the company that delivers the internet, so I'll just pick a random brand?
July 16, 2009 6:37:16 AM

yeah won't make a big deal either way, same brand just ensures nothing obscure comes up
July 16, 2009 6:49:11 AM

And is it difficult to install such a USB-device? like special things need to be done?
July 16, 2009 7:02:12 AM

nope, typically you install drivers then plug it into an usb port
July 16, 2009 7:48:37 AM

thanks man,
Going to the shop to buy one in about 30 minutes, then to my uncle, ty!!!
July 16, 2009 7:52:03 AM

np
July 16, 2009 4:24:06 PM

On another note, check out the support page with drivers and pick one that has good support for vista/7 and/or linux.

The belkin 7050 is an excellent, cheap, choice.
!