AMD FX-60 Multiplier

mattdc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
hi guys i have the amd fx-60 processor ADAFX60DAA6CD
i thought this processor had an unlocked multiplier, which i thought was one of its major features when released.
lots of reviews comment on it.
but it seems to be locked on mine.
any ideas?
thanks

mattdc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

i have the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. i hope it doesn't restrict me. it was supposed to be good when it was released!

Smitty is right, and the ASUS board should overclock just fine. You are correct, when it was released it was a highly regarded motherboard. Better than the crosshair I bought in my opinion, that was a $240 piece.
I didn't own the A8n32, but I heard good things.

mattdc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
i have the newest bios, apart from some newer beta bios. aim trying to overclock using the Ai Booster (ASUS' own app) the multiplier option is in the program but greyed out.
could the option maybe be in the bios somewhere? i cant find it

Ok, so yeah I would use the bios to change the multi, there should be an option in the bios to change CPU settings and you would choose manual. There should be options for changing bus speed and multi and so forth. It may be under a heading like advanced settings or some such.
I found AI booster to be ok but limiting, and eats resources. It doesn't give the precise control that bios overclocking does which is why enthusiasts prefer using bios.

mattdc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
(in the BIOS) cant seem to find the option anywhere. i set the ai overcloking to manual, i found a page which said max multiplier 25x, but nowhere to change it.
maybe i should just stick with the external frequency :(

mattdc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
ok i found it. i had to make the FID/VID option manual. this allows me to change the multiplier and voltage.
how do i know what voltage i should use? surely setting this wrong could damage the cpu permanantly more-or-less instantly?