Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[AMD] Can overclocking CPU and CPU-NB damage RAM ?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 6, 2011 5:40:00 PM

Hi,

I want to ask that can overclocking CPU and CPU-NB and playing with its voltage damage RAM ? And if Prime95 get error in calculation this means my overclocking is not good I have to do some adjustments, right ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have Phenom II X6 1090T CPU with CM V6GT CPU Cooler
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 9:58:48 PM

yes prime errors are a sign things need to be adjusted. Make your adjustments one step at a time refraining from making lots of adjustments all at once keep your temps in check. i have recently burned up 2 cores on my 1090t and amd is blaming overclocked ram as this cpu is only designed to run 1333 and my ram runs 1600(oc) info i wish i had known a few months ago lol
as far as n/b or h/t or cpu speed all depends on you systems temps and hardware ability and that for you to find as every piece of hardware is different. Trust me when you lock in your sweet spot all the work becomes so worth while.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 10:38:36 PM

grahamie said:
yes prime errors are a sign things need to be adjusted. Make your adjustments one step at a time refraining from making lots of adjustments all at once keep your temps in check. i have recently burned up 2 cores on my 1090t and amd is blaming overclocked ram as this cpu is only designed to run 1333 and my ram runs 1600(oc) info i wish i had known a few months ago lol
as far as n/b or h/t or cpu speed all depends on you systems temps and hardware ability and that for you to find as every piece of hardware is different. Trust me when you lock in your sweet spot all the work becomes so worth while.

i had contacted them and ask them if i should run my RAM @ 1333 or higher according to my Phenom specs and they said that they don't recommend running any RAM above 1333 MHz as it could damage the CPU IMC
i had to contact them cuz I've done a hard research on the web and saw different opinions.Even though, many people run their RAMs @ 2000 MHz without a problem giving that higher frequency boosts the performance
and i can say that you're going to kill the whole chipsets on your board NB & HT shouldn't be raised that much, what temperature do you get of NB ? do you use an aftermarket cooler for it ?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 10:40:28 PM

fslateef said:
Hi,

I want to ask that can overclocking CPU and CPU-NB and playing with its voltage damage RAM ? And if Prime95 get error in calculation this means my overclocking is not good I have to do some adjustments, right ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have Phenom II X6 1090T CPU with CM V6GT CPU Cooler

well, you have a BE proc, all you have to do is to raise the multiplier only and enjoy the performance, raise up the voltage a little if required
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 12:28:05 AM

ilysaml said:
i had contacted them and ask them if i should run my RAM @ 1333 or higher according to my Phenom specs and they said that they don't recommend running any RAM above 1333 MHz as it could damage the CPU IMC
i had to contact them cuz I've done a hard research on the web and saw different opinions.Even though, many people run their RAMs @ 2000 MHz without a problem giving that higher frequency boosts the performance
and i can say that you're going to kill the whole chipsets on your board NB & HT shouldn't be raised that much, what temperature do you get of NB ? do you use an aftermarket cooler for it ?

Your 100% right 1333 is what amd told me as well i had to get native 1333 ram to do all the testing on the cpu for an rma.

As far as my n/b and h/t speeds there 100% stable and have been for a long time, my temps are idle 32 and max 51 for my n/b with the koolance full board water block
(speed doesn’t kill heat does)
August 7, 2011 3:24:49 AM

Thanks for good information. I have 1600MHz ram and my current overclock is seems stable under prime95 for more than 4 hours.

Overclock settings are: CPU @ 3.8GHz with VCore = 1.400v; CPU-NB @ 2.6GHz with CPU-NB PID Control = 1.175v; temperature is touching 56c to 57c under prime95 which I think is ok as it's never going to 100% load during normal use or gaming. My Auto voltage settings are more than what I set at the moment especially CPU VCore. And I think all these voltages are under maximum defined in themal and power specs I think.

Isn't overclocking of CPU-NB or IMC is allowing CPU to use more than 1333mhz without stressing itself ?

Also my main concern is can CPU overclocking damage RAM modules ?

Another question: CPU-NB and NB on motherboard are different, right ? For overclocking CPU you need to use some cooler for motherboard NB chipset like 990FX which my system have ?

My specs: CPU 1090T, motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3, CM V6GT CPU cooler

What is TMPIN2 in CPUID HWMonitor ? Is is this motherboard NB temperature ? It's value was 63c under prime95 although TMPIN0 was 38c maximum.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 3:53:10 AM

fslateef said:
Isn't overclocking of CPU-NB or IMC is allowing CPU to use more than 1333mhz without stressing itself ?

Also my main concern is can CPU overclocking damage RAM modules ?

Another question: CPU-NB and NB on motherboard are different, right ? For overclocking CPU you need to use some cooler for motherboard NB chipset like 990FX which my system have ?

My specs: CPU 1090T, motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3, CM V6GT CPU cooler

What is TMPIN2 in CPUID HWMonitor ? Is is this motherboard NB temperature ? It's value was 63c under prime95 although TMPIN0 was 38c maximum.

* TMPIN2 is the NB temperature, TMPIN0 is the system temperature, TMPIN1 is the CPU temperature
* Guy, you don't have to overclock your NB and HT because you have a Black Edition CPU which means Unlocked Multiplier all you have to do is to raise the multiplier and the BUS speed only, overclocking NB and HT for Non BE CPUs only
* Overclocking your CPU can damage you're whole Motherboard
* Using a NB cooler (not the stock) is required only for Extreme overclocking (5 GHz + ) and only for Non BE CPUs
August 7, 2011 4:13:28 AM

ilysaml said:
* TMPIN2 is the NB temperature, TMPIN0 is the system temperature, TMPIN1 is the CPU temperature
* Guy, you don't have to overclock your NB and HT because you have a Black Edition CPU which means Unlocked Multiplier all you have to do is to raise the multiplier and the BUS speed only, overclocking NB and HT for Non BE CPUs only
* Overclocking your CPU can damage you're whole Motherboard
* Using a NB cooler (not the stock) is required only for Extreme overclocking (5 GHz + ) and only for Non BE CPUs

Humm, so CPU-NB is effecting Chipset NB also. I am not overclocking HT but I noticed very good performance increase by overclocking CPU-NB, is this wrong ? If yes then I will reduce it. And isn't 3.8GHz overclock is a normal for BE CPU ?

Thanks
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 4:46:30 AM

i have found the same thing ive overclocked both n/b and h/t and what a difference yes for a basic stable oc on a BE chip you dont NEED to adjust your n/b or h/t but when you do venture out and get some high clocks it makes all the difference
August 7, 2011 4:48:02 AM

Also my TMPIN2 always reaches 62c - 63c under prime95 load even without any overclock, is this normal ?
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 5:01:46 AM

thats hot. i know with my rig it starts to act up when i exceed 58c on my n/b or tmpin2
August 7, 2011 11:03:59 AM

I don't understand your reply. You want to say that when your CPU exceeds 58c then your n/b or tmpin2 starts increasing ?

I did some google and found that CPU-NB is not chipset NB and overclocking of it is not going to effect motherboard NB. Isn't this correct ?

I am now confused and afraid of overclocking :(  although I want to increase my CPU frequency and CPU-NB because I am seeing real performance increase in games like Crysis, now what to do ? Go to stock speed ?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 11:14:56 AM

fslateef said:
I don't understand your reply. You want to say that when your CPU exceeds 58c then your n/b or tmpin2 starts increasing ?

I did some google and found that CPU-NB is not chipset NB and overclocking of it is not going to effect motherboard NB. Isn't this correct ?

I am now confused and afraid of overclocking :(  although I want to increase my CPU frequency and CPU-NB because I am seeing real performance increase in games like Crysis, now what to do ? Go to stock speed ?

Again, you don't have to overclock your Nb frequency, there's no much performance gained when doing so, Crysis is a GPU intensive game it takes 24% of my CPU when looking into taskmgr.
you can get up to 4.1 / 4.2 easily just raise the clock speed and the multiplier with a voltage of maximum 1.5
i changed the thermal grease of my NB and SB stock coolers this reduced temp by 7 degrees
August 7, 2011 12:30:45 PM

Thanks for the guide. Fir Crysis I have radeon 6970 and I was getting some sluggishness and drop frames occasionally and overclocking made it smooth.

I read in some other forum posts that chipset NB can reach upto 100c without issues and 65c is not going to harm it.

Thanks for your quick replies and clearing my confusions :) 

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 12:45:19 PM

fslateef said:
Thanks for the guide. Fir Crysis I have radeon 6970 and I was getting some sluggishness and drop frames occasionally and overclocking made it smooth.

I read in some other forum posts that chipset NB can reach upto 100c without issues and 65c is not going to harm it.

Thanks for your quick replies and clearing my confusions :) 

65 C is not an issue, but above 80 C is an issue, because you're overclocking 24/7 this reduces the lifetime of your chipset and CPU and this can kill them instantly anytime.
don't be confused or afraid, just keep everything @ low voltage and you're good to go
Crysis 2 Dx11 has some issues with both nVida and AMD cards, specially a lot with Radeon HD 6K series i don't notice an increase in fps while i'm playing Metro 2033 and BFBC2, but i see a lot of increase in performance when working on PS CS5 and 3dmax, rendering works like a charm in seconds, you'll notice an increase in fps while running CrossFire with an overclocked CPU to handle the data transfer between the GPUs
August 7, 2011 1:30:37 PM

A simple question if you don't mind answering:

If my system is stable and temperature is in control including voltage with-in range specified by "thermal and power design document" then overclocking of CPU and CPU-NB is ok ?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 1:32:45 PM

YES IT IS
August 7, 2011 1:40:23 PM

August 7, 2011 1:40:39 PM

Best answer selected by fslateef.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 1:43:01 PM

fslateef said:

nothing worth to get you confused, always glad to help
August 8, 2011 2:50:05 AM

fslateef said:
I am not overclocking HT but I noticed very good performance increase by overclocking CPU-NB, is this wrong ?

Scores in every benchmark I've run and FPS in every game I play go up significantly with my NB @ 2600MHz and up even more @ 2800MHz.
Also saw large increase in FPS with Crysis and Crysis 2 by upping CPU from 3.5GHz to 3.7GHz and NB from 2200MHz to 2600MHz. So don't take everything you've gotten here as fact. Pretty much left to figure most of this for ourselves since every system and every component is different.
August 8, 2011 3:10:30 AM

You are right GObonzo, this is what my findings also and now I am going to stick with my overclock :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 3:36:56 AM

GObonzo said:
Scores in every benchmark I've run and FPS in every game I play go up significantly with my NB @ 2600MHz and up even more @ 2800MHz.
Also saw large increase in FPS with Crysis and Crysis 2 by upping CPU from 3.5GHz to 3.7GHz and NB from 2200MHz to 2600MHz. So don't take everything you've gotten here as fact. Pretty much left to figure most of this for ourselves since every system and every component is different.

who was talking about overclocking NB and FPS ? the main question of this thread is that OC NB could damage RAM or not......
and my answer was that he doesn't have to OC NB since he has a BE CPU
overclocking the NB boosts up the performance leading to a slight increase in FPS,
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3877/asrock-890fx-deluxe-...
but taking the risk of OC'ing NB to a higher frequency (3000-4000) worth it ?
August 8, 2011 4:17:05 AM

ilysaml said:
who was talking about overclocking NB and FPS ? the main question of this thread is that OC NB could damage RAM or not......but taking the risk of OC'ing NB to a higher frequency (3000-4000) worth it ?
try reading through the thread again or taking memory pills...

from flsteef:
1) Fir Crysis I have radeon 6970 and I was getting some sluggishness and drop frames occasionally and overclocking made it smooth
2) although I want to increase my CPU frequency and CPU-NB because I am seeing real performance increase in games like Crysis, now what to do ? Go to stock speed ?

from you:
Crysis 2 Dx11 has some issues with both nVida and AMD cards, specially a lot with Radeon HD 6K series i don't notice an increase in fps while i'm playing Metro 2033 and BFBC2

from grahamie:
have found the same thing ive overclocked both n/b and h/t and what a difference yes for a basic stable oc on a BE chip you dont NEED to adjust your n/b or h/t but when you do venture out and get some high clocks it makes all the difference

The speed of your NB whether @ 2000MHz or 4000MHz isn't going to hurt your motherboard or CPU. It's the heat produced that is going to it. So yes, taking your NB as high as you can as long as properly cooled is worth the large increase in FPS you can achieve. Same as with Crysis and Crysis 2, I got another 8-10 FPS in Metro 2033 with my NB @ 2600MHz, so 3000MHz should be quite a difference.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 12:06:43 PM

GObonzo said:
try reading through the thread again or taking memory pills...

from flsteef:
1) Fir Crysis I have radeon 6970 and I was getting some sluggishness and drop frames occasionally and overclocking made it smooth
2) although I want to increase my CPU frequency and CPU-NB because I am seeing real performance increase in games like Crysis, now what to do ? Go to stock speed ?

from you:
Crysis 2 Dx11 has some issues with both nVida and AMD cards, specially a lot with Radeon HD 6K series i don't notice an increase in fps while i'm playing Metro 2033 and BFBC2

from grahamie:
have found the same thing ive overclocked both n/b and h/t and what a difference yes for a basic stable oc on a BE chip you dont NEED to adjust your n/b or h/t but when you do venture out and get some high clocks it makes all the difference

what are you pointing at ?
August 8, 2011 3:44:04 PM

ilysaml said:
what are you pointing at ?

I think he was just giving some clarification about his comment that why he was taking about FPS and NB overclocking. When I started this thread I was thinking about damage only and then during discussion I started moving towards overclocking NB and damage it can done to whole system. Thats why he was replying to my some other concerns about overclocking and FPS increase.

Thanks to both ilysaml and GObonzo for helping me out :)  Much appreciated.
!