Sign in with
Your question

File record segments 109 is unreadable

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2011 11:44:16 AM

I have an Intel mobo, P4, based system with a WD 40GB hard drive configured as a master and the MAXDOR 40GB slave drive, the old style thin drive. Upon booting the system goes into a blue screen and automatically runs chkdsk. When the drive starts testing itself. As it goes through the test the results read:

File record segments 109 is unreadable
File record segments 110 is unreadable
File record segments 121 is unreadable
File record segments 122 is unreadable
File record segments 128 is unreadable

and so on. Not every file record is named What to do? Is this drive "toast"?

This keeps on going for a while after which around, File record segments 1209 is unreadable, (not all consecutive) I become impatient and shut down the system?

H E L P ! ! ! ! ! ! !!
a c 383 G Storage
April 12, 2011 11:50:57 AM

It appears your drive is on it's last leg. Your drive is probably full of unreadable sectors. I hope you have a recent backup. If you plan on trying to rescue some of the data, you may want to allow chkdsk to finish so that it can at least try to move some of the data to a new sector.
m
l
April 12, 2011 12:07:12 PM

Thank you for your prompt "assumed" reply. I didn't want to hear this but I had a feeling . . .

Thanks again,

Grons
m
l
Related resources
a c 383 G Storage
April 12, 2011 1:01:05 PM

You might want to grab a free utility like HDTune or Speedfan that can check the drive's SMART values, but yeah, it's doesn't sound good.
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:40:28 PM

Thanks again, taking your advice!

grons
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:34:46 AM

OK, just in case your curious heres the latest on this thread:
1. Let the check disk finish.
2. Was able to see the Slave drive (d:) in the explorer on the Winternals 5.0
3. The file type was RAW and I noticed a small 35MB particion w/p a drive number and it was a FAT file type. The D: slave drive said it was now an UNKNOWN particion and EMPTY or about 38GB.
4. On the FAT (F:)  newly named drive I noticed which looked like SYSTEM files that could have told me that at one part of this drives life it may have been a DELL systems c: drive. Now I have a system drive of 35MB of which may have been a system at one time.
5. After 2 hours of playing with this damn drive I got tired and hoped to deal with it tomorrow so I disconnected it and tried to reboot just the c:D rive which originally worked because put a FRESH install on it about a week ago (this PC is a friend (girl) of mine and I don't want to blow myself up in front of her (ego thing).

N O W

I get a new "refreshing" challenge that tells me whenst I'm booting that AUTOCHECK program not found Skipping Autocheck . . . and around we go with circular insanity, re-booting non-stop.

I have tried F8, no luck yet ??? Should I Jumper the newly found f:\ partition as a master alone and see what happens?

Much appreciated in advance !!!!!
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:37:57 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
You might want to grab a free utility like HDTune or Speedfan that can check the drive's SMART values, but yeah, it's doesn't sound good.

OK, just in case your curious heres the latest on this thread:
1. Let the check disk finish.
2. Was able to see the Slave drive (d:) in the explorer on the Winternals 5.0
3. The file type was RAW and I noticed a small 35MB particion w/p a drive number and it was a FAT file type. The D: slave drive said it was now an UNKNOWN particion and EMPTY or about 38GB.
4. On the FAT (F:)  newly named drive I noticed which looked like SYSTEM files that could have told me that at one part of this drives life it may have been a DELL systems c: drive. Now I have a system drive of 35MB of which may have been a system at one time.
5. After 2 hours of playing with this damn drive I got tired and hoped to deal with it tomorrow so I disconnected it and tried to reboot just the c:D rive which originally worked because put a FRESH install on it about a week ago (this PC is a friend (girl) of mine and I don't want to blow myself up in front of her (ego thing).

N O W

I get a new "refreshing" challenge that tells me whenst I'm booting that AUTOCHECK program not found Skipping Autocheck . . . and around we go with circular insanity, re-booting non-stop.

I have tried F8, no luck yet ??? Should I Jumper the newly found f:\ partition as a master alone and see what happens?

Much appreciated in advance !!!!!
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
April 13, 2011 12:01:36 PM

Well, if you can install or get windows running on a single drive, you can try EASUS Partition Recovery or EASUS Data Recovery Wizard. Sorry, but the drive sounds like it's a goner.

http://www.easeus.com/
m
l
!