So I plan on getting a water cooling system some time in future and I just wanted to get some pointers and maybe build a shopping list with a average budget.I plan to start out slow only cooling the CPU and then later moving onto GPU cooling.

I have a HAF 922 case so I figure I'll start out with getting a double 120 RAD for the top with the x2 120mm slots but that's about all i've got so far.Any help or pointers would be appreciated as I only know a little about RADS and nothing about which water block or pumps,etc. to use.Also thought I might add I plan to use it on a 6 core AM3+ CPU when I have the money.And it will be O.C.'d.I think the 6 core Bulldozer's still have a TDP of 125watts but I might be wrong.

Was thinking something like this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12369/ex-rad-198/EK_CoolStream_240_XT_Series_Liquid_Cooling_Radiator_EK-CoolStream_RAD_XT_240.html?tl=g30c95s160

Not sure yet.I'd say a tight budget though.I'm planning to get a Bulldozer CPU as well as add another 6870 for crossfire.So i'm thinking the WC will have to come after those.Maybe around 150 or less.Something cheap but decent.I just need help on what is the right gear to get.

Do you think that's a good radiator or are their betters for the money.I just remember that I wanted a dual 240 RAD so I just picked one at random just to display it.And would you think it's better to get a thick RAD or a long RAD?

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Anything worth doing is worth doing right
A water cooling setup is an investment that carries over to you next build, why spend 150 on parts you will not be happy with and wind up getting rid of? I say save that 150 and put it towards a solid basic loop then expand as your budget allows.
Start with pump, res, rad and cpu block then upgrade to gpu blocks and more rad.
You will eventually get there and be a lot happier when you do.

What would you think the best lowest budget would be for using a simple system with that RAD?

Also does it make a difference in heat disipation if the RAD is long but thin or thick like the one I linked above?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Rad thickness is a direct correlation to its heat-watt delta at a given flow rate and fans used and what performance you can expect. Bigger rads generally have the ability to remove more heat due to more surface area...simple physics.

As for a lowest budget...that's difficult to really put a $ amount on. It all depends on where you have room for rads, what size those rads are, what flow rate/pump you are using and if you want universal or full cover blocks. These are all things that once you figure out what is the best setup for your system and your wallet, you can start to zone in on the planning/building stages.

brpeden82

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
that what i running pretty much the same res/pump combo and block i running a swiftech mcr 220 radiator with scythe gentle typhoon 1850 rpm fans
i have a amd phenom II X4 955 overclocked to 4.0 GHz temps run 35c idle 50c load. i have corsair graphite 600t case

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
G1/4" is the fitting thread...completely different than the ID size of the tubing/barbs.

You realize that res DOES NOT include a D5/MCP655 pump, right? The res is $60...the pump is a $90 option.
Built in functionality of a Laing D5 pump without having to worry about where to put the beast of a pump. Here is the solution, the XSPC Dual Bay reservoir with built in D5 compatibility! (Pump Sold Separately)

A lot of questions you are asking about are covered in the watercooling sticky.

A LOT..............