Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WC/First Time

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2011 8:42:53 PM

So I plan on getting a water cooling system some time in future and I just wanted to get some pointers and maybe build a shopping list with a average budget.I plan to start out slow only cooling the CPU and then later moving onto GPU cooling.

I have a HAF 922 case so I figure I'll start out with getting a double 120 RAD for the top with the x2 120mm slots but that's about all i've got so far.Any help or pointers would be appreciated as I only know a little about RADS and nothing about which water block or pumps,etc. to use.Also thought I might add I plan to use it on a 6 core AM3+ CPU when I have the money.And it will be O.C.'d.I think the 6 core Bulldozer's still have a TDP of 125watts but I might be wrong.

Was thinking something like this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12369/ex-rad-198/EK_C...

More about : time

a c 328 K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 2:58:11 AM

I have a lot of data in the WC sticky, if you haven't checked there.

That rad would be a good start on your loop...what kind of budget are you looking at for WC?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 3:18:40 AM

Not sure yet.I'd say a tight budget though.I'm planning to get a Bulldozer CPU as well as add another 6870 for crossfire.So i'm thinking the WC will have to come after those.Maybe around 150 or less.Something cheap but decent.I just need help on what is the right gear to get.

Do you think that's a good radiator or are their betters for the money.I just remember that I wanted a dual 240 RAD so I just picked one at random just to display it.And would you think it's better to get a thick RAD or a long RAD?
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 2:22:41 PM

For $150 on a WC budget, you won't get anywhere close for a CPU/Crossfire cooling loop unless you find a lot of used gear for sale, or go incredibly cheap, using alternative components like pond pumps and heater cores.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 4:58:09 PM

Anything worth doing is worth doing right
A water cooling setup is an investment that carries over to you next build, why spend 150 on parts you will not be happy with and wind up getting rid of? I say save that 150 and put it towards a solid basic loop then expand as your budget allows.
Start with pump, res, rad and cpu block then upgrade to gpu blocks and more rad.
You will eventually get there and be a lot happier when you do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 12:31:21 AM

rubix_1011 said:
For $150 on a WC budget, you won't get anywhere close for a CPU/Crossfire cooling loop unless you find a lot of used gear for sale, or go incredibly cheap, using alternative components like pond pumps and heater cores.

What would you think the best lowest budget would be for using a simple system with that RAD?

Also does it make a difference in heat disipation if the RAD is long but thin or thick like the one I linked above?
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 2:15:36 PM

Rad thickness is a direct correlation to its heat-watt delta at a given flow rate and fans used and what performance you can expect. Bigger rads generally have the ability to remove more heat due to more surface area...simple physics.

As for a lowest budget...that's difficult to really put a $ amount on. It all depends on where you have room for rads, what size those rads are, what flow rate/pump you are using and if you want universal or full cover blocks. These are all things that once you figure out what is the best setup for your system and your wallet, you can start to zone in on the planning/building stages.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 7:46:03 PM

Bigger as in longer or thicker?
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 7:46:57 PM

Either. More surface area is more surface area.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 9:49:34 PM

Alright then I guess i'll wait until then.Do you think you could put up a shopping list on parts.Then I can check on this thread when it is time and see where the prices are at then.Try to keep it under $200.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 10:10:47 PM

Do you have a preference for parts? Like is their a company that makes really good quality stuff and are their companies I should look out for that make cheap quality componets?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 10:29:46 PM

Pump/Res

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC...

CPU Block

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7357/ex-blc-477/EK_Su...

Radiator

Tubing

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2293/ex-tub-34/Tygon_...

So that's what i'm thinking as for something basic.What do you think?

I was having a hard time finding some decent colored tubing.All of the colored tubing I found was like $30.All in all though I don't think it was to bad on the budget.Hit the $200 mark exactly.
m
l
August 8, 2011 11:02:52 PM

that what i running pretty much the same res/pump combo and block i running a swiftech mcr 220 radiator with scythe gentle typhoon 1850 rpm fans
i have a amd phenom II X4 955 overclocked to 4.0 GHz temps run 35c idle 50c load. i have corsair graphite 600t case
m
l
August 8, 2011 11:06:10 PM

tube ISNT thick enough u need AT LEAST 3/8" Id 5/8 od TUBE
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 11:34:22 PM

They all say 1/4" so they should work with that tubing.Or do the measurements work differently?
m
l
August 8, 2011 11:41:41 PM

depends on what size barbs you use. most use either 3/8" or 1/2" barbs. the 1/4" inch is problay refering to the thread side know as G1/4
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 12:05:44 AM

I also see that the tubing is also 3/8 so i'm guessing that means in thickness? Do I also need barbs and/or clamps? Or do they come with the tubing or radiator?
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:48:41 AM

you have to buy barbs seperate on frozencpu there and option to add the barbs to your product
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 1:40:11 AM

G1/4" is the fitting thread...completely different than the ID size of the tubing/barbs.

You realize that res DOES NOT include a D5/MCP655 pump, right? The res is $60...the pump is a $90 option.
Quote:
Built in functionality of a Laing D5 pump without having to worry about where to put the beast of a pump. Here is the solution, the XSPC Dual Bay reservoir with built in D5 compatibility! (Pump Sold Separately)

A lot of questions you are asking about are covered in the watercooling sticky.

A LOT..............
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 2:47:29 AM

O I see.I didn't get a chance to read it.I just saw it as the pump that comes with the XSPC kit i've seen so many people with.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 12:50:52 PM

No, the XSPC Rasa kit doesn't use a D5/MCP655...it uses a different pump/res combo. The D5 is a significantly better pump.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 1:59:38 PM
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 2:07:33 PM

Those swifttech pumps seem to be the same except for the one has vairable speed.

Ok so you get one of those pumps to put into the res but why is the D5 res better if it's just a res? I can see a pump being better because it's stronger but I don't get why a res would be better.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 2:13:05 PM

Yes, there are 2 versions...one is variable speed, 1-5, the other is locked at approx. speed '4'.

And what do you mean...? It's a res...it simply fits the D5/MCP655. My earlier comparison was the D5 vs. the X20 750 pump...nothing to do with the res.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 2:45:40 PM

Yes, they are both reservoirs for the same pump. I guess I don't follow what questions you are trying to ask...?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 3:24:11 PM

If they are both res's then why is one priced so much higher? I don't understand what makes one res better than another.

I understand how a pump could be more expensive than another because it can push harder/faster.What I don't understand is if the res only hold the water why one can be better(priced higher).
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 3:44:33 PM

The Monsoon res is built a little more solidly and offers more vibration resistance.

However, a lot of people still have said that there is still vibration present which translates to noise. I personally haven't used either, but I'm pretty sure Ortoklaz has the Monsoon but felt it was too noisy, but this is different for each person. You can also go the route of a pump top/res (there are a lot of these for MCP355/MCP35x/DDC pumps) and a couple for the D5/MCP655.

This would be an example of a top/res for the D5/655: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12360/ex-pmp-126/EK_D5_X-Res_Top_100_Pump_Top_Reservoir_Combo_-_Black_Acetal_EK-D5_X-RES_TOP_100_-_Black_Acetal.html?tl=g30c107s152

There are quite a few for the DDC/MCP350/355/35x pumps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 4:40:22 PM

Alright I see then.It's mostly brand and the type of parts used.

Well i'm not to concerned about noise.Just looking at low temps for higher O.C.'s and longer lifespan.

Do you think that EK D5 res you linked is better than the XSPC res?

Out of the 3 pumps you linked above which one do you think is the best performer?(I guess which one moves the water faster?)
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 4:56:03 PM

MCP35x, but its rather pricey. I use the D5/MCP655 vario...had it about 6 years or so...
m
l
August 9, 2011 6:32:51 PM

puple stank i have a 240mm radiator by swiftech a waterblock for am3 processor and that pump/res combo plus some hose. if u want i can sell you it for about $150 including scythe gentletyphon ap-15 1850 rpm fans includes barbs and everything to hook up. i also have a phoyba 200mm radiator and a swiftech mcw-82 unviersal vga blockif u want that too. i take 40 for vga block. and about 75 for the 200mm rad and fan. my number is 601-695-2661
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 6:50:18 PM

rubix_1011 said:
MCP35x, but its rather pricey. I use the D5/MCP655 vario...had it about 6 years or so...

Can you justify spending the extra $15?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 6:52:26 PM

brpeden82 said:
puple stank i have a 240mm radiator by swiftech a waterblock for am3 processor and that pump/res combo plus some hose. if u want i can sell you it for about $150 including scythe gentletyphon ap-15 1850 rpm fans includes barbs and everything to hook up. i also have a phoyba 200mm radiator and a swiftech mcw-82 unviersal vga blockif u want that too. i take 40 for vga block. and about 75 for the 200mm rad and fan. my number is 601-695-2661

No thanks.As i said in my first post I don't have the money now and I still have to buy a AM3+ CPU and another 6870 before I want to move to water cooling.So it could be quite some time before I finally start purchasing water cooling stuff.Really this is more of a guide for me to look at when the time comes.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 8:31:37 PM

Quote:
Can you justify spending the extra $15?

It's a good pump...if I was needing one, I would get one. However, any of the above mentioned would be excellent for any budget you were looking at.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 9:31:51 PM

Res

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC...

Pump

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2128/ex-pmp-27/Swifte...

CPU Block

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7357/ex-blc-477/EK_Su...

Radiator

Tubing???

So after some more thought I'm thinking this is my final list of things I should get.Please comment or reccomend if you think it needs it.A few more quick questions though...

Do you put the Pump inside the Res? I'm pretty sure you do but just want some clarification.

Also what I'm reading is that the max operating temp for those pumps is 60c.I'm just somewhat curious about that because I know CPU's can get above 60c.

I am having a little trouble finding tubing on Frozen CPU.They list that clear tubing but it's to flexiable.I do have blue LED case fans so I was thinking maybe I should get some blue tubing but the price goes way up to $25 from $2 for colored tubing.I'm wondering if theirs another website or another section to find that tubing.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 10:03:57 PM

Quote:
Do you put the Pump inside the Res? I'm pretty sure you do but just want some clarification.

This is correct.

Quote:
Also what I'm reading is that the max operating temp for those pumps is 60c.I'm just somewhat curious about that because I know CPU's can get above 60c

There is a major difference in CPU core load temp at IHS sensor as opposed to ambient room and water temps. 60C would be ~140F. You really don't want your water temps to be this warm (which would be the case if you don't correctly calculate the delta-T for your loop)...you sure as hell hope your ambient room temps don't get that warm either. If you plan on using the radiator you have listed, neither of the latter 2 should have any bearing on pump temps.

Quote:
I am having a little trouble finding tubing on Frozen CPU.They list that clear tubing but it's to flexiable

Not sure I grasp what you are saying here...you typically WANT flexible tubing. You can use the cheap vinyl clear tubing from the hardware store, but it isn't very flexible, it clouds easily and is prone to collapsing. It's very cheap...usually $0.30-$0.45 per foot...but you get what you pay for.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 10:29:24 PM

That's what I meant actually.The clear tubing is to cheap and will collapse.I just don't get why they jump the price up that much for colored tubing when it's essentially the same material as the clear tubing.

Do I need any attachments like 90º turns or anything like that or will it just simply plug the hose into the rad and then cpu etc.

Will this tubing work for my setup?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8652/ex-tub-453/25_Me...
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 10:36:45 PM

Quote:
Do I need any attachments like 90º turns or anything like that or will it just simply plug the hose into the rad and then cpu etc.

You are going to need compression fittings or barbs...one of the 2. Nothing just 'plugs straight in'...you'll need to connect tubing to components one way or another...barbs/compression fittings cover this.

90s are fine...most are fairly nonrestrictive these days, but you'd rather keep everything simple and straight-shots if possible.

Quote:
.I just don't get why they jump the price up that much for colored tubing when it's essentially the same material as the clear tubing.

It depends if you are talking about the cheap stuff, or clear good tubing. Clear good tubing will be $1.50-$2.50 ft. Most good tubing is a hybrid of silicone...cheap tubing is simply vinyl.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 10:52:59 PM

O no.I meant the jump in price from Clear tubing to colored tubing.

The pump says it comes with x4 3/4" clamps but I'm guessing that's not gonna be enough so I will actually have to get some more.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 10:14:28 PM

That kit would get you started but you will have no wear near enough rad surface to accommodate a crossfire.
Also will that pump keep up when you water cool your gpus? It clams 750 lph
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 10:19:50 PM

I only plan to cool the CPU.

GPU water cooling will come way later and I intend to get a seperate radiator pump etc. for both GPU's.They will run on their own seperate systems.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 10:54:55 PM

well then in that case id say your good to go with that kit then, my 1090t ran just fine under similar conditions even with a mild oc
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 10:57:02 PM

Well what i'm asking is how much,if any, of a temperature deifference would their be going with that XSPC kit vs the one I have picked out in the above post.My kit is $250 while the XPSC is $130.Just trying to see if that extra money can be justified.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 11:41:25 PM

first off that EK cpu block is great thats what i run and as long as you use the most restrictive plate you will be quite happy with that i droped about 6 deg when upgraded from a generic block to almost the same one you picked out ( mine has the acetal top ) and the mcp655 pump is hands down better. The ek rad is better aswell. the system you designed is alot better and well worth the extra money in my opinnion.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2011 12:17:23 AM

Is that XSPC res in that XSPC kit the same as the one I have picked out for my kit? Cause if it is I might as well get the XSPC kit and buy the pump and water block later on.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
August 11, 2011 1:02:48 PM

Quote:
Is that XSPC res in that XSPC kit the same as the one I have picked out for my kit? Cause if it is I might as well get the XSPC kit and buy the pump and water block later on.

Yes. It also runs the Rasa waterblock, which is also very good for the money.
m
l
!