12v->9v fan cable mod?

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I have an Antec Sonata III case, and I'm upgrading my air cooling so that I can finally OC my Athlon64 3500+ to get a smooth framerate in ETQW and SC2 (when it gets released).

Just installed a Zalman 9500 on the CPU and a Zalman 700 on the videocard, a Sapphire AGP3850. Hard disk is on lowest rack.

Now the chassis fans- I got myself a pair of S-Flex 120mm fans both at 1200rpm@12v.

I am going to run the rear fan with Asus Q-Fan2 at the 11/15 or 12/15 divider. This will give me about 9v 95% of the time. I want the front fan, (mounted on the inside wall of the hd array right between it and the videocard), at 9v to match it's speed (I am listening to those who have said that the air pressure output on the front intake should not exceed the air pressure output on the rear exhaust).

I can think of two ways to do this- the obvious is to modify the 3-pin 12v connector into a 9v instead. I have no clue how it's done, so can someone tell me please?

By the way, the fan includes a 3pin->4pin cable connector, if that makes it easier.

Then I had another idea- modifying the cables so that Q-Fan2 was controlling both fans simultaneously! Never heard of it being done, but I bet someone out there knows how to do it... hmmm?

Someone please tell me how to do this- I just can't wait to get it set up and have all day tomorrow to work on it.

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
ZOMG i know! I'll just disconnect the Zalman FanMate2 from my CNPS9500LED, since it's designed for 5-12v, and use it on the S-FLEX instead which also can operate from 5-12v with 3 pins! I can connect the 9500 directly to the motherboard- it was always just set at 12v, doing nothing at all anyway. Perfect!