Sign in with
Your question

How come i cant run call of duty 4 smoothly?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2009 11:13:23 AM

Hi i have an amd dual core processor, 2gb of ram 1 667 stick and 1 466, and i have an 8800gs alpha dog edition made by xfx 384 mb ddr3 memory, this should run call of duty4 fine, ive seen computers with specs like mine run it fine, but for some reason i get 25fps and lower, im also using a good 700 watt psu, and im thinking of upgrading to a gtx 260, but i dont even really play at high resolutions so would there be any point? , i think my computers just not doing something right, maybe the mobo..

More about : run call duty smoothly

a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 11:48:28 AM

How about overclocking the processor?
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 12:02:46 PM

What resolution are you gaming at and which dual core CPU do you have?
Also, what are the in game/nVidia control panel settings you are using?
What are your CPU and GPU load and idle temps?
Make sure and kill all the background apps while you are gaming and see if that helps any.

+1 to overclocking your CPU and GPU.
It is the quickest and cheapest to gain some extra performance.
Related resources
August 5, 2009 12:08:42 PM

Hey im only using 1024x768, its an amd x64 4200+ dual core,
i put all the control panel and game settings as low as i can to get a decent fps, the idle temp of the card is around 50 celcius, ive tried overclocking doesnt help much, i kill all background apps, i dont even have an antivirus running, i just reinstalled windows pro 64 bit, maybe ill try overclocking the cpu, im not sure what it idles at but its never been too hot before
August 5, 2009 1:30:22 PM

I was thinking of upgrading my motherboard, i have a cheap biostar right now, i want to get a new one with a pcie 2.0 slot and upgrade my ram to 800mhz, maybe 4gb of it, do you think this would improve my performance?
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 2:21:13 PM

I believe both memory stick will run the lower speed so 466mhz which is going to be a good bottleneck. At lower resolution you want a fast cpu so i would recommending overclocking the cpu, gpu and memory and see if it works, or you might need to upgrade to a new system all together.
August 6, 2009 12:05:42 AM

You could overclock some devices (assuming they already have good cooling) and make some minor upgrades to improve your frame rates a bit in COD4, but in all honesty you just need a completely new rig if you wanna run COD4 smoothly.

I don't know how much you can afford to spend or if you're tech savvy enough to build a new rig yourself (which would be cheaper), but here's a prebuilt system that would run COD4 on high smoothly pretty easily: iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 538 $785 after mail-in rebate
August 6, 2009 12:59:45 AM

What the.... no dont buy a new ''pc'' just yet , his rig aint no speed monster but its still fairly good. Tbh i doubt that memory would limit him that much rly

cheapest way would be a healthy OC, altho what settings are you playing this on, since your only telling us about the resolution, but at 8xaa i wouldnt b surprised if youd hit such low fps even on 1024x800
August 6, 2009 1:12:46 AM

well if i turn everything down on low, texture settings low, aa off, everything.. then i will not get bad fps, but on some of the multiplayer levels when its a wide open area and i can see everything in the distance the fps just drop right away, ive tried overclocking the processor and graphics card it didnt seem to really make that much of a difference
August 6, 2009 1:21:50 AM

ill b ben said:
What the.... no dont buy a new ''pc'' just yet , his rig aint no speed monster but its still fairly good. Tbh i doubt that memory would limit him that much rly

If not a new PC he's at least going to need a new video card to play COD4 smoothly. The 8800 GS isn't terrible by any means but COD4 is a demanding game. No mater what way you cut it, his current specs just aren't going to be able to produce much better FPS in that game.

edwinbona said:
ive tried overclocking the processor and graphics card it didnt seem to really make that much of a difference

It wont make a significant enough difference in a game like COD4 on your specs unless you really crank that processor speed up, which you might not be able to do safely right now depending what kind of cooling you got going on. The cheapest, easiest solution to get better frames in that game would be a new video card. How much can you spend? Throw us a price range and pretty much anyone here could tell you what the best card for your rig at that price would be. :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 1:48:15 AM

I wouldnt jump on a new system just yet theres still life in your system. COD4 isnt to hard to run. If you can overclock cpu to 2.5ghz, the memory to 667mhz+ (both), gpu core-650+, memory 1ghz,shader 1500mhz+. I think that should play it fairly well.
August 6, 2009 8:37:10 AM

No.. no your wrong hindesite, i ran cod4 on my laptop with a c2d T7250, 8600gs (oc'd) with med/high settings on 1280x1024 and would still get round 40 fps. But with aa enabled it would get crippled obviously

that pc is no speed demon like i mentiond ,but more then enough for cod4..
August 6, 2009 11:08:47 AM

Well im thinking of getting a new video card anyway, i had this all overclocked and didnt see much of a difference, maybe a couple fps, i was thinking the hd4870 or gtx260, i dont want to spend more then 200 dollars really, and the hd4870's seem like the best for the price
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 1:38:16 PM

Your going to be held back by your cpu and ram. I believe your motherboard supports only am2? If so your very limited to options.
August 6, 2009 3:54:14 PM

ill b ben said:
No.. no your wrong hindesite, i ran cod4 on my laptop with a c2d T7250, 8600gs (oc'd) with med/high settings on 1280x1024 and would still get round 40 fps. But with aa enabled it would get crippled obviously

that pc is no speed demon like i mentiond ,but more then enough for cod4..

Wow, that's news to me. I haven't seen COD4 run that well on those specs before.

If his specs are more then enough for COD4 though, why's he having so much trouble? He already said he's overclocked what he can, so... shouldn't he be getting good frames then?

I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just I don't see the logic in his specs being good enough for COD4 when his problem is that he's having a hard time running COD4 well on specifically those specs. How's that make sense?
August 6, 2009 4:13:41 PM

Hindesite said:
Wow, that's news to me. I haven't seen COD4 run that well on those specs before.

If his specs are more then enough for COD4 though, why's he having so much trouble? He already said he's overclocked what he can, so... shouldn't he be getting good frames then?

I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just I don't see the logic in his specs being good enough for COD4 when his problem is that he's having a hard time running COD4 well on specifically those specs. How's that make sense?

Neither am i, and its for you to trust me on my word or not. But do think about this, he never did say at what settings he was playing it. Just the resolution
August 6, 2009 9:57:50 PM

I said when i play with everything on high with aa turned off, its really bad, if i turn everything on low it can be good most of the time until im in a wide open space with the whole level in view then it gets bad, either way it doesnt seem to work good, and im planning on upgrading my motherboard eventually, could you guys tell me if i should get an Ati HD4870? , im using a biostar NF6IV Micro AM2 motherboard, that should work fine on this for now right? im either getting that or the gtx 260 which is a bit more expensive and doesnt seem to outperform the HD4870 enough for me to spend extra on it.
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 10:46:00 PM

A 4870 is a better option since its really cheap and this one is on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you can find a gtx260 for the same price its not a bad option both great cards and same performance level.

In my opinion its not worth to upgrade because your cpu and ram are going to hold it back a good amount and wont justify the money spent. Save a bit more money and upgrade altogether.
August 6, 2009 10:56:44 PM

invisik said:

If you can find a gtx260 for the same price its not a bad option both great cards and same performance level.

In my opinion its not worth to upgrade because your cpu and ram are going to hold it back a good amount and wont justify the money spent. Save a bit more money and upgrade altogether.

Thanks, well i just sold my 8800gs, im planning on upgrading everything eventually, but do you think if i had an hd4870 for now it would run a lot better then the 8800gs? i can just upgrade the rest after
August 6, 2009 10:58:58 PM

invisik said:

Not to try and disagree with you on everything you say in this thread, but I don't think he should go with that card. Yes, it's a great deal for a 4870, but it's reviews are very low compared to any other 4870 and many of the low reviews are regarding the same problem of it unexplainably dying after just a couple of months.

This one is just $25 more with free shipping and a bigger mail-in rebate, but has significantly higher reviews. Worth the extra money, in my opinion: ASUS Radeon HD 4870 1GB

edwinbona said:
do you think if i had an hd4870 for now it would run a lot better then the 8800gs?

Yes, it would run noticably faster, but if you ARE planning to build/buy a whole new computer, you might as well just save your money and just put it towards getting your entirely new rig sooner. :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 11:00:17 PM

Ya you would see a improvement over your 8800gs. =]
August 6, 2009 11:02:17 PM

ok sounds good, ill make sure to check the reviews those powercolor ones seem to die and have really bad fans from what i've researched, i was thinking either that asus one or the xfx, ill probably order that , and keep upgrading from there, since i dont have a video card anymore i kinda need one
August 6, 2009 11:05:44 PM

Oh and what would you guys recommend for a cheap motherboard with am2+ for in around 100 bucks
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 11:06:51 PM

Well i guess its luck. I bought some off brand products works fine for me and powercolor comes with 2yr warranty. I like to save money but hey everyones different. The one you suggested is a good brand and a solid price. If your wallet permits more money go for a better brand by all means. =D

Any preference about mobo? I would suggest it support am3 for newer cpu's. Do you want more then 1 pcei? Maybe you want to cf later on?
August 6, 2009 11:13:19 PM

I dont really have any specific preferences, i dont need anything special, i just want a mid range computer, i probably will never sli or cross fire, i just like things to at least run smoothly, dont need any high resolutions or anything like that, i dont even mind playing cod4 with all low settings, it just bugs me that even on all low its still slow
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 11:19:36 PM

Here is a motherboard that supports am2, am2+ and am3. It supports cf just in case if you want to later on. Trust me at 1st i didnt buy a cf or sli board once i needed more power i had to buy a complete new system. Have the option to upgrade is not a bad thing. Its cheap, supports wide range cpu and has cf support. Overclocks a little bit. Are you planning to overclock a lot?

August 6, 2009 11:28:40 PM

that one does look good, im not really planning to overclock at all if everything runs smooth thats all i need, the only reason i ever did OC was to see if it would make cod4 run better, cod2 runs perfectly will full aa and everything on high on 1680x1050 resolution, i didnt think cod4 was so much more demanding
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2009 12:18:06 AM

Ya i would go with that then. Has options to expand on in the future as well as a mild overclock ability at an affordable price.
August 7, 2009 2:21:09 AM

That CPU is good but if you can spend just a little more, this is a better choice:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
I have a Phenom X4 2.6Ghz and my buddy has a Phenom II X3 2.8. Even though I've got a whole extra core more then him, the Phenom II architecture and that little bit of clock speed make his CPU perform better then mine. Don't think you need 4 cores to have a powerful enough processor for modern games. ;) 

The video card choice is great, XFX is very reliable.

But forget that motherboard. The one invisik linked is by far your best choice for that price range. The motherboard you linked, no offense, is junk. ;) 
August 7, 2009 2:27:53 AM

Hindesite said:
That CPU is good but if you can spend just a little more, this is a better choice:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
I have a Phenom X4 2.6Ghz and my buddy has a Phenom II X3 2.8. Even though I've got a whole extra core more then him, the Phenom II architecture and that little bit of clock speed make his CPU perform better then mine. Don't think you need 4 cores to have a powerful enough processor for modern games. ;) 

The video card choice is great, XFX is very reliable.

But forget that motherboard. The one invisik linked is by far your best choice for that price range. The motherboard you linked, no offense, is junk. ;) 

Cool thanks, now i just dont know about the HD4850 or the 4870, i probably dont need a 4870 the 4850;s are cheap and seem to perform great
August 7, 2009 2:34:09 AM

you should be ok here are my pc specs and i can run Cysis warhead real smooth on mainstream and some gamer.

dualcore 4450e with a ECS Mobo (both came from a Compaq presario)
3gb ddr2 ram
640GB sata blue
4850 HIS Turbo
antec earthwatts 430

I used to play cod5 world at war on this rig with a galaxy 9600 gt oc and i could max out cod5 so im sure once you upgrade your video card you should be ok.
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2009 4:21:16 AM

I tested an X2 4200+ + 8800GS in one of the more demanding single player missions of COD4. The card was easily capable of maximum details at low res. The ave and min FPS are given:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-gaming-bench...

Here's the difference an HD 4850 made at 1600x1200 max details:

Sounds crazy, but try enabling dual video cards in the COD4 in-game options. For one reason or another, this often smooths out choppy gameplay.

August 7, 2009 4:30:28 AM

pauldh said:
I tested an X2 4200+ + 8800GS in one of the more demanding single player missions of COD4. The card was easily capable of maximum details at low res. The ave and min FPS are given:

Here's the difference an HD 4850 made at 1600x1200 max details:

Sounds crazy, but try enabling dual video cards in the COD4 in-game options. For one reason or another, this often smooths out choppy gameplay.

Yeah i knew my system was fully capable of playing it since ive seen basically the same systems play it fine, it doesnt make sense to me i dont know whats causing it, i just reinstalled xp 64 bit so i have no other processes running
August 7, 2009 4:35:50 AM

i would but i sold my video card, so ill have to wait till i get a new one now
October 15, 2009 1:30:00 PM

Well justgo to optios and in game select enable console if you haven't. Open up console by pressing the ` key in the the top left hand corner directly under escape and type in /con_maxfps 125. by default the fps (frames per second) is set to 80, when you set it to 125 it will run smoother because i have worse gear than you and i can run cod4 on my Asus N10jc netbook. hope this helps
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2009 2:41:58 PM

Please do not dig up old threads.
December 28, 2009 4:43:53 AM

I have a similar problem running cod4.

My new system for some reason runs call of duty with the same settings as my old one and not better.

New system:
AMD athlon II x4 620 2.6ghz
4gb ddr2 (2 x 2gb)
nvidia 8400gs gpu
GA-MA785GMT-UD2H with onboard radeon hd4200 graphics
windows 7 pro 64bit

old pc:
amd athlon 64 2.4ghz
2.5gb ddr
nvidia 8400gs
windows xp media center
then windows 7 32 bit

I can run it with high settings at around 1024 x 768 res and not any higher. Shouldnt the new pc be able to run it better then the old one? Or is the game completely reliant on the gpu? My laptop with 3gigs of ram and a 1.6ghz dual core, 8600m gs runs this game better then the new desktop.
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 8:17:23 AM

your new system's setup is quite a bit odd.

you already have an hd4200 igp, what in the world were you thinking getting a 8400gs as a discrete card?
!