Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Older WD360 raptors

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2011 4:58:27 PM

Saw two older used WD360 raptors on craigslist for 30 buck and was just wondering if they would be a cheap option for a boot drive for windows 7? Would this decrease start up time over a modern 500GB-1TB sata3 drive?

More about : older wd360 raptors

April 12, 2011 8:39:54 PM

the drives spin at a faster rate, which will help with access times but i would check the actual benchmarks for reads and writes as the technology has progressed quite a bit. many of the newest generation drives that are larger have great performance as the density is far greater meaning that the head doesnt have to travel as far across the disk to find your data. Now if you set those in a RAID-0 array, is more performance but twice as likely to fail. i'm a WD fan, they have great RMA process and i had to RMA both of my 300gb Velociraptors and various other disks over time ( i have plenty of disks backing up other disks, or RAID-1 systems so i've never been to bent out of shape having to send in for a new one. that being said, i doubt that the raptor 36gb has any sort of warranty should the drive fail. the price is good, but i would probably go with a newer generation disk with a 32-64mb cache
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 177 G Storage
April 12, 2011 8:51:05 PM

imaurer269 said:
Saw two older used WD360 raptors on craigslist for 30 buck and was just wondering if they would be a cheap option for a boot drive for windows 7? Would this decrease start up time over a modern 500GB-1TB sata3 drive?

You would be better off with a modern 1tb drive.

The original raptors were good in their time. The 10k rpm gave them good random access time, but they were no faster in data transfer. More modern 1tb drives are very dense, and give faster transfer rates. Because more data is closely packed, seek times are reduced, negating the big advantage of the raptors.

Really, consider a ssd, (ANY ssd) for a boot drive. Expect to pay $2 per gb. A 40gb ssd is ok for a boot drive, but bigger is better. You will not regret buying a ssd.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
April 12, 2011 8:59:50 PM

I agree with Geofelt regarding the original Raptor's. I had to 36 GB versions and discovered that they were no faster than the modern 7.200 RPM Drives. I would add a note of caution regarding SSD's. I have a SSD and I also have Velicoraptors. The SSD does not out perform the Velicoraptor in terms of real world computing. However my SSD corrupted slowly and painfully over a period of time causing mysterious crashes that magically disappeared when I reinstalled to a Velicoraptor. It seems that SSD's often require firmware updates. I regret buying a SSD and they cost far to much to be worth the tiny gain in real world performance if there is any gain at all.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 177 G Storage
April 12, 2011 9:07:27 PM

Wamphryi said:
I agree with Geofelt regarding the original Raptor's. I had to 36 GB versions and discovered that they were no faster than the modern 7.200 RPM Drives. I would add a note of caution regarding SSD's. I have a SSD and I also have Velicoraptors. The SSD does not out perform the Velicoraptor in terms of real world computing. However my SSD corrupted slowly and painfully over a period of time causing mysterious crashes that magically disappeared when I reinstalled to a Velicoraptor. It seems that SSD's often require firmware updates. I regret buying a SSD and they cost far to much to be worth the tiny gain in real world performance if there is any gain at all.

What ssd did you have a problem with?

I have had several Intel SSD's that had no problems.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
April 12, 2011 10:16:54 PM

Mine is an OCZ Vertex 2. My Rig crashed 12 times a day easy until I went back to the Velicoraptor and since then not one crash.
m
l
April 12, 2011 11:01:32 PM

Best answer selected by imaurer269.
m
l
April 12, 2011 11:02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply's I will just wait until SSD prices fall a bit.
m
l
!