external LED indicator for Now Playing list?

Tags:
  • Tivo
  • LED Monitor
  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
March 13, 2005 3:02:02 PM

Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to show
when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to turn
on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's ready
to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
recordings-exist indicator.

JT

More about : external led indicator playing list

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:49:27 PM

> > Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to
show
> > when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to
turn
> > on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's
ready
> > to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
> > recordings-exist indicator.
> >
> > JT
> >

> Something is always ready to watch on TiVo.
>
> Recorded programs exist on nearly every TiVo. You might be the only
> one who doesn't have *any* recordings before the new ones appear.

I suppose it's a non-issue for many people. I have the so-called "80
hour" model but I see artifacts at anything below "Best" quality, so
it's just a 22 hour recorder for my purposes. I don't like to record
more stuff than can be watched in a reasonable time frame, so I choose
carefully and don't record re-runs in Season Passes. I do plan to add a
160GB HD fairly soon.

JT
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:10:23 PM

Megan wrote:

> Not to mention, why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?

It saves energy and significant wear because the HD isn't constantly
recording a 30 minute buffer. I rarely watch live TV so the buffer
isn't critical. Also, I bought the Lifetime service contract, which
means the life of the machine, not the user and I'd rather not push it!
The very thought of conserving things (vs. dumping them and buying new
ones) seems to shock a lot of Americans, but I was raised differently.

I also don't want the white front panel light on all the time, though I
know it can be disabled. I have it on minimum brightness when it's off
standby.

JT
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:19:33 PM

Lenroc wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:53 -0500, Megan wrote:
>
> > why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
>
> Some people do that because the TiVo passes through what it sees on
RF
> input to it's RF output when it is Standby mode.

Yes, I have mine set up just like a VCR so I can watch the TV without
it being on. I did it that way for various other connection reasons
too. I don't get why the manual recommends using an RF splitter to pass
a signal to the TV when it works fine the "old fashioned" way and the
unit seems degisned for just that. Must be a cable box or dish issue (I
have basic cable only).

> Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear &
tear
> on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...

With any TiVo that's a lot more than a theory. The hard drive is still
on but it's only spinning, not constantly writing, which has to save
wear on it. There ought to be a way to turn it fully off to save even
more energy.

JT
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:23:52 PM

> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:53 -0500, Megan wrote:
> >
> > > why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
> >
> > Some people do that because the TiVo passes through what it sees on
RF
> > input to it's RF output when it is Standby mode.
> >
> > Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear
& tear
> > on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...
> >
> ... and the internal temperature will drop several degrees overnight
while in Standby.
> High temperatures can reduce the estimated life of electronic
components.

Not to mention conserving energy, which ought to matter to more people.
I am hoping to get at least 10 years out of this machine for the
"Lifetime" service contract unless they render it obsolete before then.

JT
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:19:38 PM

> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > The very thought of conserving things (vs. dumping them and buying
new
> > ones) seems to shock a lot of Americans, but I was raised
differently.

> Much like the very thought of how electronic devices work,
apparently.

> I let mine work as it was designed to. I guarantee it will outlast
yours.

How can you possibly "guarantee" such a thing? Since the hard drive
apparently spins in or out of Standby mode (I can hear it), and the fan
stays on, there are no heating/cooling cycles to shorten its life in
that regard. The main issue is how much wear occurs when it's writing
the buffer vs. just spinning (in Standby mode). It seems logical that
the less the head moves, the longer the hard drive will last. Unless
someone runs a server, that's the same reason you should turn off or
hibernate a computer when not in use. Would you deny that?

And I don't share the throw-away mentality of just get another one if
it breaks, which guides a lot of "leave it on" dogma. Many claims that
devices are "shocked" by power cycles (which doesn't really apply to
this TiVo issue) are based on old technology that did require specific
warm up times, like tube amps.

JT
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:32:45 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:19:33 -0800, Jack Tyler wrote:

> Lenroc wrote:
>
>> Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear &
>> tear on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...
>
> With any TiVo that's a lot more than a theory.

Actually, it's only theory, and it only applies to DirecTiVos.

Standalone (non-DirecTiVos) do _not_ stop recording their buffer, even in
Standby.

And if you can _prove_ that not recording the buffer lengthens the
lifespan of the drive, I'm all ears (or eyes...).

Reading from and writing to a drive don't necessarily make it die any
faster.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Lenroc wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:41:08 -0500, Sean wrote:
>
> > This is very important becuase when your Tivo shits the bed you're
> > outt your money for that "lifetime" subscription.
>
> Right... whereas, with a Cable Co DVR, you only rent the unit...
unless of
> course _you_ break it, in which case you'll be charged to replace it.

Hmm, here I thought you were going to tell Sean that everytime he pays
his bill he's out his money. For the "lifetime", if it lasts for over
2 years (give or take, depending on the situation), anything after that
is money in the pocket compared to renting like what cable company DVRs
do. I already have 2 TiVos with lifetime that have last beyond that so
I've already saved money by getting the lifetime service. Plus, the
boxes are mine to do with as I please (and with the lifetime sub, they
would get a pretty penny on ebay if I ever wanted to get newer TiVos).
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:55:05 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1110744122.352877.146550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to show
> when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to turn
> on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's ready
> to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
> recordings-exist indicator.
>
> JT

Something is always ready to watch on TiVo.

Recorded programs exist on nearly every TiVo. You might be the only
one who doesn't have *any* recordings before the new ones appear.
March 14, 2005 1:27:05 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110744122.352877.146550
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to show
> when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to turn
> on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's ready
> to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
> recordings-exist indicator.

When do recorded programs NOT exist?

March 14, 2005 1:27:06 AM

"Howard" <stile99@email.com.> wrote in message
> "Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110744122.352877.146550
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to show
>> when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to turn
>> on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's ready
>> to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
>> recordings-exist indicator.
>
> When do recorded programs NOT exist?
>
> --
> Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
> stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
> I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
> no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:27:07 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:53 -0500, Megan wrote:

> why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?

Some people do that because the TiVo passes through what it sees on RF
input to it's RF output when it is Standby mode.

Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear & tear
on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:43:10 AM

Jack Tyler (jctyler_67@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> And I don't share the throw-away mentality of just get another one if
> it breaks

In this case, though, it might be a good thing. Now that TiVo supports
LBA48 in current software versions, it's actually cost-effective to
replace the drive with a bigger one. Although I'm not advocating hastening
the drive failure just to have an excuse to upgrade, unless you are
shortening the life by a *lot*, there's no reason not to just use the TiVo
however you want and replace the drive if it breaks.

> Many claims that
> devices are "shocked" by power cycles (which doesn't really apply to
> this TiVo issue) are based on old technology that did require specific
> warm up times, like tube amps.

It's well documented by hard drive manufacturers that thermal stresses are
the #1 killer of drives. These stresses include higher-than-recommended
temperature operation as well as heating/cooling cycles.

So running a drive 24/7 at a cool temperature is the way to prolong its life.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/Obedience...
March 14, 2005 3:16:45 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Megan wrote:
>
>> Not to mention, why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
>
> It saves energy and significant wear because the HD isn't constantly
> recording a 30 minute buffer. I rarely watch live TV so the buffer
> isn't critical. Also, I bought the Lifetime service contract, which
> means the life of the machine, not the user and I'd rather not push it!
> The very thought of conserving things (vs. dumping them and buying new
> ones) seems to shock a lot of Americans, but I was raised differently.
>
> I also don't want the white front panel light on all the time, though I
> know it can be disabled. I have it on minimum brightness when it's off
> standby.
>
> JT

You obviuosly have the TCD540080 model. Guess what? The buffer is still
being recorded when the unit is in standby. [I can't figure out why this is
being ignored by so many other responders] All standby does is allow the RF
signal to pass through. By putting it in standby, the only electricity
saved is that used by the front panel and the green LED. And if conserving
electricity is such a concern, why have the front panel light on at all? It
serves no practical purpose.

Do you wash and reuse "sandwich bags"?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:55:03 AM

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9t4Zd.20750$KK5.1724@fed1read03...
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:53 -0500, Megan wrote:
>
> > why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
>
> Some people do that because the TiVo passes through what it sees on RF
> input to it's RF output when it is Standby mode.
>
> Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear & tear
> on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...

.... and the internal temperature will drop several degrees overnight while in Standby.
High temperatures can reduce the estimated life of electronic components.
March 14, 2005 4:55:04 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:55:03 GMT, "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

>"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9t4Zd.20750$KK5.1724@fed1read03...
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:53 -0500, Megan wrote:
>>
>> > why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
>>
>> Some people do that because the TiVo passes through what it sees on RF
>> input to it's RF output when it is Standby mode.
>>
>> Also, if you have a DirecTiVo, you can theoretically save some wear & tear
>> on the drive in standby, since it stops recording it's buffer...
>>
>... and the internal temperature will drop several degrees overnight while in Standby.
>High temperatures can reduce the estimated life of electronic components.

This is very important becuase when your Tivo shits the bed you're
outt your money for that "lifetime" subscription.

Sean
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:55:05 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:41:08 -0500, Sean wrote:

> This is very important becuase when your Tivo shits the bed you're
> outt your money for that "lifetime" subscription.

Right... whereas, with a Cable Co DVR, you only rent the unit... unless of
course _you_ break it, in which case you'll be charged to replace it.

Wow... so it's a bad thing if you break a DVR, even if you don't own it?
Weird...

--
Lenroc
March 14, 2005 5:25:23 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110766223.016055.23930
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> The very thought of conserving things (vs. dumping them and buying new
> ones) seems to shock a lot of Americans, but I was raised differently.

Much like the very thought of how electronic devices work, apparently.

I let mine work as it was designed to. I guarantee it will outlast yours.

March 14, 2005 5:30:04 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110766772.957236.85670
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> With any TiVo that's a lot more than a theory. The hard drive is still
> on but it's only spinning, not constantly writing, which has to save
> wear on it. There ought to be a way to turn it fully off to save even
> more energy.

Tell me what part it saves wear on.

Use this, it might help:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk.htm

If you're really concerned about the amount of energy it needs when "not in
use", unplug it. The difference between .005 cents and .007 cents is NOT
"wasteful" when no matter what you do, it's rounded up to the penny anyway.

March 14, 2005 5:47:30 AM

In article <YrqdnV2t_8UtTanfRVn-sg@comcast.com>, "Megan" <spam@uce.gov> wrote:
>Not to mention, why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?

I do at night. There is absolutely no need for me to have it buffer the 2
tuners all night while i am asleep.I'm probably just being anal about it.

>"Howard" <stile99@email.com.> wrote in message
>> "Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110744122.352877.146550
>> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Is there a TiVo setting that can make a front panel LED blink to show
>>> when recorded programs exist? This would be faster than having to turn
>>> on the TV (and take the TiVo out of Standby) to see if anything's ready
>>> to watch. I think a slow blinking green LED would make a good
>>> recordings-exist indicator.
>>
>> When do recorded programs NOT exist?
>>
>> --
>> Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
>> stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
>> I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
>> no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.

March 14, 2005 7:15:42 AM

"Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1110770378.934599.209520
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> the buffer vs. just spinning (in Standby mode). It seems logical that
> the less the head moves, the longer the hard drive will last. Unless
> someone runs a server, that's the same reason you should turn off or
> hibernate a computer when not in use. Would you deny that?

As a matter of fact, I would. Conservation of energy I might buy as an
excuse, but not to save the components, especially not the hard drive.

Here's a human analogy. Go into the nearest sauna. Turn it up REALLY hot.
As hot as you can tolerate, then another 5 degrees. Stay in at least half
an hour. Now, very quickly now, go jump into a lake that is below
freezing.

You now know how the components of your computer feel when you turn it on.

> And I don't share the throw-away mentality of just get another one if
> it breaks, which guides a lot of "leave it on" dogma. Many claims that

Strawman to the discussion at hand.

> devices are "shocked" by power cycles (which doesn't really apply to
> this TiVo issue) are based on old technology that did require specific
> warm up times, like tube amps.

Keep believing that. It IS lessened in the case of the TiVo, since it is
not turned off entirely, but it DOES exist, and no, not limited to 'old
technology'.

March 14, 2005 5:04:44 PM

> It saves energy and significant wear because the HD isn't constantly
> recording a 30 minute buffer.

This is not magentic tape. It does not 'wear'. Reading, writing or just
spinning the platters make no difference to the lifespan of a hard drive.

> I rarely watch live TV so the buffer
> isn't critical. Also, I bought the Lifetime service contract, which
> means the life of the machine,

It means the life of that machine's serial number, not it's internal
components. If the drive dies just replace it, the unit will remain under
'lifetime' contract.

> I also don't want the white front panel light on all the time, though I
> know it can be disabled. I have it on minimum brightness when it's off
> standby.

Electrical tape works wonders.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:04:47 PM

> With any TiVo that's a lot more than a theory. The hard drive is still
> on but it's only spinning, not constantly writing, which has to save
> wear on it.

Yeah and only making left turns in your car might may your suspension last
longer. What sort of bunk wives tales are you spouting? The write activity
on a drive is /extremely/ unlikely to make one damn bit of difference in a
drive's overall lifespan. Magnetic coercivity of media is certainly not an
issue compared to spindle reliability.

> There ought to be a way to turn it fully off to save even
> more energy.

Um, a wall switch?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:04:51 PM

> ... and the internal temperature will drop several degrees overnight while
in Standby.
> High temperatures can reduce the estimated life of electronic components.

Oh please, not enough to matter. It's more likely a consistent temperature
is better than a fluctuating one anyway.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:09:29 PM

> In this case, though, it might be a good thing. Now that TiVo supports
> LBA48 in current software versions, it's actually cost-effective to
> replace the drive with a bigger one. Although I'm not advocating
hastening
> the drive failure just to have an excuse to upgrade, unless you are
> shortening the life by a *lot*, there's no reason not to just use the TiVo
> however you want and replace the drive if it breaks.

So take the 'peace of mind' angle. Newer drives hold more so it saves on
worry about the amount of free space for recording new programs. That and
the newer drives generally consume less power than their smaller
counterparts. Why wait until it fails? Yank the current drive, dd it onto
a fresh one and expand it to use the larger amount of space. End worries
about having enough space AND save energy!
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:10:54 PM

"GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
news:D 12u05$9jf$1@news.xmission.com...
> I'm probably just being anal about it.

Ding, Ding! Give than man a prize for the right answer!

Life's short, worry about something worthwhile instead.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:30:41 PM

Howard wrote:
> "Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
> > the buffer vs. just spinning (in Standby mode). It seems logical
that
> > the less the head moves, the longer the hard drive will last.
Unless
> > someone runs a server, that's the same reason you should turn off
or
> > hibernate a computer when not in use. Would you deny that?
>
> As a matter of fact, I would. Conservation of energy I might buy as
an
> excuse, but not to save the components, especially not the hard
drive.

I have to admit that I jumped the gun on this by assuming a few
opinions I read on the Net was legit. Looking at the TiVo paper manual
(RTFM!) it says the 30 min. buffer is still being recorded in Standby
mode, so the only real power savings would be the front panel LEDs
and/or the white light, which could be disabled.

> > devices are "shocked" by power cycles (which doesn't really apply
> > this TiVo issue) are based on old technology that did require
specific
> > warm up times, like tube amps.
>
> Keep believing that. It IS lessened in the case of the TiVo, since
it is
> not turned off entirely, but it DOES exist, and no, not limited to
'old
> technology'.

In this case I typed opinions without the full story, but I'll still
use Standby because I'd rather not have those LEDs glaring all the time
when I'm watching other stuff. I wish there was a way to turn the 30
min. buffer completely off since I rarely need it. It would quiet the
unit considerably also. There must be a hack out there...

JT
March 14, 2005 10:53:41 PM

* wkearney99 Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
> news:D 12u05$9jf$1@news.xmission.com...
>> I'm probably just being anal about it.
>
> Ding, Ding! Give than man a prize for the right answer!
>
> Life's short, worry about something worthwhile instead.

Who worries about it? It happens at the push of a button on the remote
as does the Receiver and TV turning off.

--
David
March 14, 2005 10:54:58 PM

* Kenny Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Do you wash and reuse "sandwich bags"?

If they are the ziplock type, occasionaly, yes.

--
David
Anonymous

Kenny wrote:

> "Jack Tyler" <jctyler_67@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Megan wrote:
> >
> >> Not to mention, why would you put your Tivo in Standby everyday?
> >
> > It saves energy and significant wear because the HD isn't
constantly
> > recording a 30 minute buffer. I rarely watch live TV so the buffer
> > isn't critical. Also, I bought the Lifetime service contract, which
> > means the life of the machine, not the user and I'd rather not push
it!
> > The very thought of conserving things (vs. dumping them and buying
new
> > ones) seems to shock a lot of Americans, but I was raised
differently.

> > I also don't want the white front panel light on all the time,
though I
> > know it can be disabled. I have it on minimum brightness when it's
off
> > standby.

Correct about the buffering - my fault for taking others' words for it
before reading myself. I've had the panel light at minimum since day
one, and I may just leave the thing "on" all the time and turn off the
panel light. It's too bad you can't enable just the red record LED in
constant "on" mode. My standalone Series 2 forces you to have both LEDs
enabled or disabled.

JT
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:53:23 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:30:41 -0800, Jack Tyler wrote:

> I wish there was a way to turn the 30 min. buffer completely off since I
> rarely need it. It would quiet the unit considerably also. There must be
> a hack out there...

The hack of the magic power switch.... mysterious, and oh-so-elusive ;)

--
Lenroc
!