Critique this build !

Javea1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Heyyo!

I've accumulated quite a bit of extra cash over the year and plan on burning some dough on a new gaming rig (I'm still on an outdated P4/AGP rig). I've put together a basic outline of something I'd like to build. I'm open to any general advice or suggestions, as I'm a noob with hardware, so if I made any lackluster choices feel free to correct them! :)

United States ($) and ordering from Newegg by the way.

MOBO: ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU: XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

HSF: XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

SSD (OS + games): OCZ Summit OCZSSD2-1SUM120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

HDD (storage): Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Retail

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail

PSU (is this overkill?): CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Thermal Compound Remover: Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM

---------------

Goals: A rig that's semi-future proof (you know what I mean). I'm not a benchmark enthusiast or anything, so I don't want complete overkill. Graphics mean almost nothing to me. It would be nice to max specific settings, but not at the expense of blindly throwing money away for a few extra frame rates if you know what I mean. Basically, as long as I can stick with a solid rig for a few years down the road and it enables me to play games (even on low settings, as long as it's playable) without a significant frame drop, that'll be fine. The reason I picked this mobo/gpu combo is because in the future I could always crossfire in another 1-2 4890's, OR simply upgrade to a next-generation GPU down the road when more graphically demanding games come out, and I'm instantly good to go without needing to completely overhaul to a new rig/platform.

Budget: None, really. I have more than enough dough to blow off on a PC, but please try to keep things relatively affordable. Use your own judgment with this one. If you have a recommended product that might give me more bang/buck performance, be it a higher OR lower price, don't hesitate to let me know! However, I obviously don't want to blow off $1k on something like Intel's higher-end i7 for just a slightly faster cpu that's obviously not worth the price tag.

Questions/concerns:
1) Is that SSD worth it? I know SSD's don't have the best price/performance ratio these days, but since price isn't much of a concern, would it be worth it to invest in this SSD and install my OS/primary games on it? If they increase my PC boot-up/game load times like what I've seen, I'm all in for installing an SSD.

2) What are your thoughts on the PSU? Is it adequate for future upgrades? I'm thinking it already might be complete overkill, but I wanted to leave some room for future expansion.

I'll also be ordering Vista 64 bit with the free Windows 7 coupon (any recommended edition, anyone?). Anyway, I believe I've covered nearly everything. If I've forgotten anything at all just let me know and I'll get back to ya!

Thanks a lot!

---------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks I guess?

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Whatever I didn't list I already have or will be picking up locally.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: Any.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024, might expand in future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Again, the reason for my choice in the 850w PSU is to leave room for these uncertainties in my build (overclocking, crossfire, higher resolution etc). However, I'm a noob with hardware so if there's something you'd do differently in this situation, feel free to let me know! :)

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
1) I always liked SSDs but they are too expensive atm. If you have the money, Get one, but know that its not for storing stuff on (i see you said that)

2) PSU is good if you plan on expanding in the future. Might as well buy a nice one now.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
The 850HX is overkill for just one GPU. If you will Xfire, its a solid choice.

SSD's are a waste of money IMO, I would get a WD6401AALS or two in Raid 0 if you want super speed, you get way more for your money and similar performance.

1280x1024 is too small for a 4890. A 4850 would be plenty for that res.

D34DM34T

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
SSD for sure. Might want to consider the Patriot Torqz. Great reviews.

I'd bypass Vista and download the Windows 7 RC 64. Windows 7 is optimized for SSDs, Vista is not. TC is good to 2010 and will be released to retail 22 Oct. Vista is a waste of your time.

Graphics is more than just resolution, also consider frame rate. They usually trade off, higher res, lower framerate. It can make a big difference in playability. Stick with what you chose. It will alow some monitor upgrade headroom in the future.

Swap the ram for this, is cheaper and faster
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381&Tpk=ocz%20platinum%206gb

Get this XFX 4890 instead, its overclocked and comes with HAWX for the same price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150360

I would drop the sound card in favor of getting a nice monitor to replace the 1280x1024 one.

Wait a few weeks on the SSD and pick up the gen 2 ones from intel, it will save you atleast 110 probably more, they are supposed to be restocked on the 28th.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

Very few people here trade higher resolution for lower frame rates, a 4890 is capable of giving atleast 40 FPS on every game at high settings at 1920x1200, to use it on a 1280x1024 monitor when my 4850 can handle running everything on high at that resolution just isnt smart.

most people would prefer to build cost effective computers and not throw money away so they get bragging rights .
A 4890 will be totally wasted on a 19 inch screen , so all it will do is push up your power bill

TRENDING THREADS