Motherboard choices...X58 Disgusts Me

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hey so I have a super awesome bonus coming up on Friday's paycheck which will allow me to pickup an X58 motherboard and 850W PSU and put my i7 to use that's been lying around. Unfortunately this motherboard choice is getting ridiculous.

Originally I decided on Gigabyte's EX-58 UD5 board. Lots of nice features, plus I wanted something with dual gigabit ethernet. Then EVGA came out with their light edition X58 board which looks great, is cheaper. Its missing the dual gigabit but I'm willing to compromise. I've been pouring over Tom's Hardware for a while and it just seems that the UD5 has terrible problems especially with restarting which makes me real hesistant to buy the board. What's more the other option I was looking at, EVGA's LE x58 board is incapable of dual x16 SLI and I'll be running 2 GTX 260's. I may never get a third or a PhysX dedicated card, but it doesn't even have a second x16 if you aren't running all slots like I am.

The ASUS P6 series seems well and I haven't seen any issues with them here at Tom's like the Gigabytes but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything. EVGA seems to be the way to go with X58, but their boards are pretty expensive (getting what you pay for I guess) but I'm trying to keep it at or under 300 before tax. Anyone got some suggestions or good experiences with any of the X58 boards(even Gigabyte)?

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Asus P6T is a great board (I have one), that has true 16x SLI (and CF) and can overclock like a beast. Look at some reviews (not the ones on Newegg, before X58 boards were DOA left and right (to be honest, they were BRAND NEW) so people bitched about that and gave them one star.)
Here's some reviews:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p6t/

Now, I may seem kinda biased, but I do love EVGA products (I have a EVGA GTX 275). I've had a good experience with my P6T, which is why I recommend it.

Edit: jbakerlent, by confused, did you mean "I didn't read the post at all" ? You just recommended him every Asus board available. I'm sure that helped him narrow down his search.

TRENDING THREADS