Sign in with
Your question

Ho to oc my cpu

Last response: in Overclocking
August 7, 2011 6:00:52 PM

Hello, i would like to OC my CPU. Ive got an intel core i5 760 2.8ghz. How do i OC it and up to what speed can I OC and would I have to buy a better CPU cooler, its a standered cooler I got with the CPU, thanks

More about : cpu

a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 7:24:06 PM

Hello and welcome to the TH overclocking forum.

Since you have Intel motherboard you won't be able to overclock very high at all. Intel boards don't have the option to increase the vcore. For that reason an aftermarket cooler is not necessary.

You might, if you are lucky, be able to reach 3.4GHz. You might have to enable overclocking somehow in your BIOS (I can't remember clearly, it's been a long time since I have worked with an Intel motherboard.). You need to then turn off Intel Speed Step and also disable turbo boost. Once those are off you should be able to bump the CPU clock multiplier to 22x. That will give you 2.93GHz.

Once the multiplier is set at 22 you can increase the BCLK from 133 to 141 (i say 141 because 141*22 is 3.1GHz, a nice 'round' number). Then save changes and reboot. You will now need to stress test the CPU. I use both Intel Burn Test and Prime 95, IBT so I can run short 20 minute tests when trying to find the sweet spot of my CPU (IBT). If your CPU is stable bump the BCLK up to 146 (go up in increments of 5MHz) and test again. Once you have found a decent clock you will need to test for long term stability using Prime 95, run for 6+ hours. If you P95 shows an error, drop the BCLK a bit.

You will also need to monitor temps during this process. Many use Core Temp or CPUID Hardware monitor. Make sure you CPU doesn't go over 75 C during the stress testing.

When you bump up the BCLK make sure that your RAM frequency stays at, or below, the specs of the sticks.
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 2:22:33 AM

intel core i5 760 some people maximum 4.01GHz with cooling Noctua NH D-14
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 10:23:48 AM

henydiah said:
intel core i5 760 some people maximum 4.01GHz with cooling Noctua NH D-14

The OP has an Intel board and won't be able to adjust voltage for the CPU. Therefore 4GHz won't happen.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 4:37:29 PM

Your i5 will surely be able to hit 3.5GHz max(or somewhat near it) on stock voltage but im not totally sure, your stock heatsink is fine because It's no different due to same or stock voltage... Voltage is the only thing that increase heat so what ever speed you max on wont affect much but just by 1-4*C if your vCore isn't increased also depends on what stock voltage is being used because my CPU was overheating on stock voltage which was at 1.272v vCore and it is not good for stock speed+heatsink...
August 9, 2011 11:10:52 PM

I have the same CPU, on an Asrock MoBo
I only want to OC to about 3.4 is that even worth it? Or should i strive for 3.8 ?
Also my MoBo offers an OC tuner feature should i use that or OC by changing the mulitplier n BLCK and voltage manually
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 1:24:11 AM

JRom_246 said:
I have the same CPU, on an Asrock MoBo
I only want to OC to about 3.4 is that even worth it? Or should i strive for 3.8 ?
Also my MoBo offers an OC tuner feature should i use that or OC by changing the mulitplier n BLCK and voltage manually

Manual OC is highly recommended because Auto OC will set voltage so high, your CPU is ganna either OverHeat/Fry, to show an example, you'll have to do it by change the OC Tuner to crazy and you can already see voltage over 1.5v(Which fry your CPU) at like 3.8GHz...
Also 3.4GHz isn't a real improvement but is worthed, try getting at least 3.6GHz and or 3.8GHz, dont recommend getting over 4GHz due to high voltage+heat...
August 10, 2011 9:53:59 PM

Wow perfect, thank you for that reply!
I do have a Hyper 212+ so my temps should be ok if i go to 3.6
I really wouldnt want to go more than 3.8 anyway I want my CPU to last me atleast 2 years ha
thank you
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2011 11:50:21 PM

JRom_246 said:
Wow perfect, thank you for that reply!
I do have a Hyper 212+ so my temps should be ok if i go to 3.6
I really wouldnt want to go more than 3.8 anyway I want my CPU to last me atleast 2 years ha
thank you

CPU Under 1.32v on AMD(AMD likes lots of voltage so staying under 1.32v will make it last) and under 60*C will make your CPU last at least to 5 years or more(Probably 10 years at most) If you can stay under 1.35v at 3.8GHz on that AMD than just leave it also make sure the temps stays under 80*C when doing prime for like 24+ hours(Minimum of 14 Hours)
!