Help me! (please)

TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hey was just wondering, Im currently waiting on ordering an antec 300 and it comes with a top 140mm fan and a rear 120mm fan, also has space for 2 front 120mm fans and a side 120mm fan, was wondering if anyone could recommend more decent fans so i get good cooling, but also not too loud.

Price range im willing to spend around £30 on fans
Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but some people have fans as an "exaust" to blow out air rather than suck in, i plan on using the side fan as an exhaust, to make it blow out the air do i simply flip the fan around, or is there specific fans for it?

cheers.

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
You can just flip the fan to use it as an exhaust.
I’ve got some Scythe slip stream fans, they aren’t really quiet but not too loud either (won’t hear them over my video Card.) and you could probably buy a few with your budget.

I wouldn't do that, the side fan is for getting fresh air to your graphics card. Using the side fan as an exhaust will defeat the ideal airflow you want in your system, lower front to upper rear.
I like the Antec tricools, they'll match the other fans and have 3 adjustable speeds. They also are not too expensive.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I wouldn't do that, the side fan is for getting fresh air to your graphics card. Using the side fan as an exhaust will defeat the ideal airflow you want in your system, lower front to upper rear.
^+1

Exhaust out the top/back of your case use front/side for intake. I also use the scythe slipstreams, wicked good airflow on those and not that loud, though i do turn mine down most of the time with my fan controller.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I put a pair of Xigmatek fans in the front of my Antec 300. (Actually I've built 5 of them this way.) The fans seem to work well and aren't loud, depending on your surroundings. In a small room with no other noise you can year them. In my den or in my small office at work I don't hear them.

If you want to get the lowdown on quiet fans, search for websites that cater to home theater PC builders.

TomProx

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
okay, so... the rear and top ones it come with shall be exhausts, and the two front and side ones should be intake? also thanks for the fan recommendations!

I also suggest not installing the side fan at first.

Here's what I would do:
Install the rest of the fans. Then, assuming you have a quad core processor, run Prime95 on 3 cores and something like 3DMark06 on the 4th core. That will pretty much maximize the internal temps. Monitor CPU and GPU temps after 10 minutes.

Then install the side fan and repeat.

Then choose whichever setup gives you the best temps.

In my case, using Antec 900 cases, using the side fan was counterproductive so I took it back out.

antonioq1966

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Get the Atec 300 Illusion. Same price as standard 300 on Newegg, but it includes 2 120mm fans in the front.

Edit: Actually, the Illusion is cheaper right now due to free shipping and $10 rebate.