wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Well.. I was just looking up some heatsink and fan on Newegg and I found that Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and 64 Pro are the top two (Best Rating).. They both are about the same price but which one is more quiet? A little help here please ><..

Solution
newegg reviews are most useful when you look at the negative reviews. The reason a reviewer gave a product a bad review may not apply to you and, therefore, may be discounted, but you should start at the bottom and work up.

I have an ACF7P and I would give it a "3". It's a great economy cooler - especially back when it cost only $25. I also own a couple of Xig Dark Knights. I'd give those a "4". It's not the best air cooler, but it is one of the best in the sub-$50 range. I also own a TRUE. It's a very good air cooler, better than the Xig, but it's pricey. If it weren't quite so expensive or if it included a fan (the original model), I'd give it a "5". As it is, the price knocks it down to a "4".

A product that simply does what...
There's a couple of things you need to know.

Newegg reviews are useful, but not the way you are using them. It's likely that very few of the folks who rate the coolers on Newegg used more than one. Those that have didn't run controlled comparative tests to come to their conclusions. So what would they know about which was best?

The ACF7 was a top cooler - quite a while ago. And when it was $25. Since then many have passed it by. And it is not quiet at moderate and high cooling loads.

If you're looking for an socket 775 cooler, scan this review:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2333&page=5

If you're looking for a socket 1366, check these:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2333&page=5

newegg reviews are most useful when you look at the negative reviews. The reason a reviewer gave a product a bad review may not apply to you and, therefore, may be discounted, but you should start at the bottom and work up.

I have an ACF7P and I would give it a "3". It's a great economy cooler - especially back when it cost only $25. I also own a couple of Xig Dark Knights. I'd give those a "4". It's not the best air cooler, but it is one of the best in the sub-$50 range. I also own a TRUE. It's a very good air cooler, better than the Xig, but it's pricey. If it weren't quite so expensive or if it included a fan (the original model), I'd give it a "5". As it is, the price knocks it down to a "4".

A product that simply does what it is advertised to do should never get a "5".

This post has started me thinking. I have a lot of products that I'd rate a "3" and quite a few that I would give a "4" to. But I have only one product that I'd give a "5" to. That's my Corsair TX750 PSU. That it provides reliable power (that's what it's for) gets it a "3". Quality of build, active PFC, uner and over volt and over current protection gets it a "4". That it's conservatively rated enough to provide 900 watts of power raises it to a "5".

Solution

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Oh wait.. I'm making AMD build.. :( those are like for Intel right ;x