Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition OR Core 2 Duo E7500

Juan Carlo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
hey guys!

i'm planning to build a PC setup primarily for GAMING and a few (minor) multitasking purposes...

i'm on a tight budget and i'm planning to spend around $100-$150 for the processor...

when i consulted Tom's Hardware's "The Best Gaming CPU for $100-$150", i found that 2 processors fit this price range...

namely, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition and Intel Core 2 Duo E7500...

i'm having a really hard time picking between those 2 CPUs that's why i'm asking for your help guys...

which of those 2 processors would you recommend??

and what motherboard would you recommend to come with that processor??

if you have other recommendations other than the 2 CPUs i mentioned that would fit in the $100-$150 range, i would like to check them out...

if you don't mind, kindly include "proof" that would support your recommendation...

THNX so much in advance...

^_^

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I would go with the X3 720 if I were you. It performs very similar to the E7500 in most things and is better with multi-threaded apps. The 720 also performs better in games. Heres some benchmarks comparing the two:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=87

As for a mobo, depends on how much you want to spend. I just put together a new system for my bro with an X3 720 and a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (AM3) and I got a really great combo deal at Newegg so it made the CPU cost around $100. The only issue with it is that it only has 1 pci-e x16 port so no Crossfire or sli. But if you only plan on using one video card thats not much to worry about.

Juan Carlo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
@bige420 - i agree.. i really think having more processing threads would give Phenom II X3 and advantage in multi-threaded apps.. i was actually planning have 2 videocards in Crossfire configuration ( i was thinking of x2 Radeon HD 4670) but i'm still gonna look into that motherboard you recommended.. thnx.. appreciate it! ^_^

@scirishman76 - i wasn't planning t use it in blu-ray but now that you mentioned it, i'm gonna try it!.. Hehehe... THNX!.. =)

@shubham1401 - yeah! i believe having more cores would give Phenom II X3 an edge over Core 2 Duo... Thank you..

@zipzoomflyhigh - Wow! it does? i did't know that... Thnx for the info.. even if you didn't post any "proof" for your claim, it's OK, i'll still count your vote.. Hehehe!... i trust you guys anyway.. ^_^ =)

@ALL - Sorry for the late reply, i've been very busy lately... Thank you so much for the quick responses...

My final decision would be......

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

Thnx......

:)

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

Well 720 is the way to go except if you use the CPU for decorating a fridge.