Couple things noticed this time through..... first system setup

Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850
Asus WS Revolution w/ i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz OC
Twin Asus GTX 560 Ti Cu II TOP (not OC'd yet)
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB (Disk 0) / Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB (Disk 1)
Thermalright Silver Arrow w/ Shin Etsu TIM
Mushkin DDR3-1600 CAS 7
Plextor 320SA

1. Setting Up SSD for Program File Installation Location - I had set up the default location for Program installs on the HD (E:\ which serves Programs Partition) and. User files on F:\ Data .... and now the problem.

I recently finished this build for Son No. 3 few nights ago). He had his friends over yesterday and when I got home he asked how come the SSD is so slow..... Of course my answer was that it's very fast but .... ya know kids ... "my friend said his HD gets 5.9. I bet him a dollar that it would get a 7 ..... I lost

I'm not much concerned about WEI but I ran the test myself and got:

Processor 7.8
Memory 7.8
Graphics Desktop 7.9
Graphics Gaming 7.9
Primary Hard Disk 5.9

I gotta wonder how he wound up with a score I could get from any modern HD. So I ran the disk portion again via the winsat disk -v and, it would seem from what's "in the little black box" that it runs the test on Disk 1 rather than Disk 0. Hadda figure this out as I wanted to get my dollar back ! :)

Turns out that WEI runs the test where the program default location is .... I put the default program install paths back to original locations and the test was performed on C:\

On a side note, before I switched it back I went to start IE .... it wouldn't load ....couldn't find it..... checking shortcut properties ..... it wanted to find it on H:\ ..... which has me lost as I only have

C:\ (SSD BOOT) on the SSD

X:\ Windows Boot files Alternate Boot Via BIOS on HD
Y:\ Teeny System partition for above on HD
D:\ (Games on the HD
E:\ (Programs on the HD
F:\ (Data the HD

The HD partitions are listed in order from outer edge to inner edge. Have alternate boot on X so if OS gets fudged can always boot to HD and do restore from image easily enough.

2. Setting Up SSD for User File Location

I had the HD on Friday .... had overnight delivery coming from newegg w/ the Vertex 3 Saturday morning (or so I thought ... apparently tho it's quite OK w/ Fed-Ex, newegg's policy forbids carriers from deliveries on Saturday

So the 1st install of Windows 7-64 went on the HD in a small partition which I'd figured could always be used as an alternate boot....and it works fine. When the SSD was left on welcome mat at front door in rain Monday afternoon (heaven forbid they deliver on Saturday when I'm home), I got home 6 hours later and installed it. Can boot from either device .... SSD boot's user files on HD .... HD's user files at default location. All is good except for one thing...... If I unplug the HD and try to boot w/ just the SSD, it tells me the user files can't be found which I expected. But plugging it back in (all ins / outs on cold system) doesn't restore functionality. It can not find the user file location and I can't figure out how to show it where it is.

First time I did this was no Admin account on SSD .... had to enable it via safe mode but now it's there .... hesitant to try again as dont wanna lose son's user account again ..... suggestions ?

I think you jacked it with the user folder location. Now I think that folder itself it jacked, too.

My moniker is to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)

Use the SSD for what it is intended for: Boot drive with OS AND programs.

If you are really worried about SSD lifespan, don't be. With 120GB, you have plenty of spaces to be used before the drive is "used up." And you have a 1TB HDD for data/media.

If you are still worried, check out some of the "SSD Tweaks" within this forum, they help hiner unneeded writes to save the drive (i.e. turning off System Restore Points has a huge benefit to SSDs.). I like this website: The SSD Reviwew: The SSD Optimization Guide. Read it CAREFULLY before doing any of the tricks. Some are unnecassary or unneeded.

You could copy the user folder to another drive, and then reinstall Windows 7, and drop/drag it back. But I think the user folder has errors/problems now. Hence the IE problem with shortcuts.

As far as the alternative boot, you may want to go the route of "Dual Boot" instead. But I think it's not needed.

Install the Games on the SSD, too. Unless you have so many, that 120GB is not enough. They will load faster, which is what you want an SSD for!

Good Luck.