Acer x3200 Sound Card Upgrade

HenryKelly

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Hi I have recently bought an Acer x3200 and would like to use to to plug in my guitar and play music. I have got a PCI sound card from another pc but I don't think the acer has PCi slots? From searching I can only see that it has PCI express slots?

What is the difference? Can anyone shed any light on what I should be looking for? Ideally I want one with a line in/out with two ports.

Are external sound cards any good?

PLease help!

That motherboard does not have any typical PCI slots. Only PCI express.
You cannot find a PCI card into a PCI express (PCIe) slot.
Therefore, you cannot use the sound card from the other PC.

If you would like to use a sound card I suggest search for with with the following stats:
Low Profile (or Half Hieght)
PCIe (1X)
Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Soundwave-Pci-lp-Profile-Sound-Card/dp/B000RA1R5K

External Sound cards are a good alternate option.

Although personally I would just use the audio ports that are built in to the motherboard already. Is there a reason you don't want to/can't use those?

Couple of corrections.. Sorry, I'm half asleep...
You cannot find a PCI card into a PCI express (PCIe) slot.
You cannot plug a PCI card into a PCI express (PCIe) slot.

If you would like to use a sound card I suggest search for with with the following stats:
If you would like to use a sound card you will need to get one with both of the following:

Although personally I would just use the audio ports that are built in to the motherboard already. Is there a reason you don't want to/can't use those?
Although personally I would just use the integrated audio. Is there a reason you don't want to/can't use those?

HenryKelly

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ive tried it and there seems to be quite a big delay when using guitar rig and just the internal sound card. Can anyone suggest an external sound card or a pcie low profile that would give me zero latency?