Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Single SSD, RAID or AHCI?

Last response: in Storage
April 13, 2011 6:27:09 AM

I have read a couple sites that say you can set it up as RAID, will get the same performance, and will be able to re-configure it to be used in an actual RAID array without re-installing windows if you decide to get another SSD later.

One thing I'm unclear on is how that can be possible. A RAID setup divides the info, so if all of your OS info is on one drive how does that work? Does it just divide new info and leave the OS on one, are there any disadvantages of setting it up that way, and anything else I should know?

More about : single ssd raid ahci

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 13, 2011 6:39:24 AM

If you are asking, "can I start with a single ssd and later transport my os to raid", the answer is yes. When you are ready to go raid 0, backup your ssd (be sure to backup in drive mode, not partition mode, as boot drive has also a ~100 mb. hidden partition). Form your raid and restore the old os. PC sees the raid as a drive just as it sees a single drive. As you restore the old os everything (dividing info...) will be taken care of automatically.
April 13, 2011 6:51:37 AM

Kursun said:
If you are asking, "can I start with a single ssd and later transport my os to raid", the answer is yes. When you are ready to go raid 0, backup your ssd (be sure to backup in drive mode, not partition mode, as boot drive has also a ~100 mb. hidden partition). Form your raid and restore the old os. PC sees the raid as a drive just as it sees a single drive. As you restore the old os everything (dividing info...) will be taken care of automatically.

TY, and one question I forgot to ask is will TRIM still work? I think I saw something that said it doesn't in RAID? If that is the case would it with just using 1 SSD in RAID?
Related resources
April 13, 2011 6:51:47 AM

Best answer selected by Nakkiel.
a b G Storage
April 13, 2011 7:08:06 AM

Nakkiel said:
TY, and one question I forgot to ask is will TRIM still work? I think I saw something that said it doesn't in RAID? If that is the case would it with just using 1 SSD in RAID?

No, you will lose TRIM with raid. But the performance gain will be worth it. Just make sure you have lots of empty space on your ssd drives.

I don't think I understand your last question abou using 1 SSD in RAID... For raid you have to use 2...
April 13, 2011 7:43:12 AM

Kursun said:
No, you will lose TRIM with raid. But the performance gain will be worth it. Just make sure you have lots of empty space on your ssd drives.

I don't think I understand your last question abou using 1 SSD in RAID... For raid you have to use 2...

Bios setting enabled at time of windows install with just 1 SSD. Right now I only need 120 gig (1 drive) on my SSD. If I were to enable the Bios setting for RAID when I do the install would it use TRIM or should I set the Bios directly to AHCI? If I add a second later I would prefer not to have to reinstall Windows, and I read from several websites that if RAID isn't enabled in Bios during windows install with one SSD then when you add a second you might need to re-install.
a b G Storage
April 13, 2011 8:16:37 AM

Download Intel Matrix Raid driver and install it. Reboot.
Install your ssd raid pair.
Enter raid configuration menu (ctrl-I) and form your raid 0
Go to bios, select RAID and all should be well.
Backup before going raid.
April 13, 2011 12:25:55 PM

Kursun said:
Download Intel Matrix Raid driver and install it. Reboot.
Install your ssd raid pair.
Enter raid configuration menu (ctrl-I) and form your raid 0
Go to bios, select RAID and all should be well.
Backup before going raid.

I have an AMD processor.. does that matter as far as the driver is concerned or? I read that the default windows version is better than the JMicron (AMD), but can the intel one be used with it without issues? I'll prob just use AHCI and reinstall if I get a second one though.. its sounding confusing, and I'm thinking I won't get trim otherwise.
a b G Storage
April 13, 2011 1:45:25 PM

You'll need to use the AMD driver or the default MSAHCI(which also supports raid) since the Intel driver/raid app is only for Intel chips.

There are newer AMD drivers said to support trim for single drives but not raids. For the fastest result you would want raidxpert with NCQ and write-caching enabled. Not all chips will support Raidxpert though so you'd have to just try and see if it will take to the system.
!