Sign in with
Your question

XFX ATI HD4850 weird errors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2009 8:16:24 PM

I just recently purchased a XFX ATI HD4850 512MB video card, and it's been running smoothly. The thing is, however, that when playing some games I see odd little glitches I hadn't noticed before. For example, in BioShock, during the beginning when you see rapture, at certain angles at looking at the tall tower, I see a large block thing that just seems to blend in to the background until I move my mouse to another angle.

It also happens in Team Fortress 2. Here's a picture:

I don't think the card is overheating.. it just seems odd. I believe it's artifacting? Not sure.

Card only running at around 57 degrees. Seems odd that it's artifacting.

System specs:
C2D E6400 @ 2.2GHz
1GB RAM
XFX HD4850 512mb
450W generic PSU
rest is filler.

Thanks!
August 5, 2009 11:54:32 PM

djszkoda said:
I don't think the card is overheating.. it just seems odd. I believe it's artifacting? Not sure.

Card only running at around 57 degrees. Seems odd that it's artifacting.

System specs:
C2D E6400 @ 2.2GHz
1GB RAM
XFX HD4850 512mb
450W generic PSU
rest is filler.

Yeah, it's definitely not a heat issue, a video card wont start artifacting like that at those temps.

I don't think it's a power issue either, 450W is the minimum for a 4850 so you should be good.

Do you have the newest drivers? Go here and double check: http://www.amd.com Should be Catalyst 9.7

That's all I got. Not sure what could be causing your issues, honestly. :/ 
August 6, 2009 12:49:11 AM

Yup, running 9.7 drivers. Just did a fresh driver installation, with wiping all of my old drivers.

Going to try a Source game now, just to see what has changed.
Related resources
August 6, 2009 7:44:17 PM

Did a fresh install of Windows... twice.

Every time I boot up, and I believe, when Catalyst starts, my screen turns to black for just a mere second. It's annoying, but I haven't been able to test a game yet. Running at 55 degrees C idle.

EDIT: Box comes with a 2 4-pin to 6-pin converter.. using that, but quick installation guide states that this is an improper way of powering the card. Paradox?
August 6, 2009 8:27:30 PM

Um, well I guess that might be the issue. If the installation guide says it's improper then it wouldn't be far fetched to think it might be the problem.

Do you not have a 6-pin power cable from your supply?
August 6, 2009 8:31:27 PM

Nope. Time to get a new power supply.

It's odd though, because it comes with the converter it says not to use..
August 6, 2009 8:37:11 PM

Yeah, that's... strange.
August 6, 2009 8:48:10 PM

I might have figured it out, actually.

I think the BIOS may need an update to support the HD48XX series. Should try that now.
August 6, 2009 9:45:44 PM

Seemed to work, card now is running properly.

Thanks Hindesite!
August 6, 2009 9:51:09 PM

djszkoda said:
Seemed to work, card now is running properly.

Thanks Hindesite!

lol, well you're welcome! You pretty much figured that one out on your own, though. ;)  Regardless, congrats!
!