Sign in with
Your question

Issue with new built i7 - random power off

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2009 10:53:38 AM

Hello guys,

I have built my new machine with the following (assembled out of the case for the moment)

i7 920 D0 stepping (stock cooler)
6Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
Asus P6T deluxe V2
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500Gb (Raid 0)
Corsair TX 650W Power supply
Generic DVD reader
old basic PCI express Ati card (not powered by the PSU)

The 2 hard drives were configured as raid 0 with stripes of 128K, and the total capacity is about 935GB

I have managed to install windows 7 on it, and then called it a day but I have experienced the following issues:
during the installation the pc suddenly powered off. It did this a few times after that, sometimes during the Post sequence. A couple of times it froze after the memory checks and had to reset it to make it boot. Windows 7 installation took a long time I would say around an hour or more, which I was not expecting at all for a such a new built.

I have realised today that I have connected the cpu fan into the chassis fan connector (and thus getting the error message "no fan" when booting) but I suppose that was not a big deal anyway and would not cause the machine to power down.
Before I put everything in the case and cover my hands in scratches, do you have any suggestion on what to check to find out if I have to RMA the motherboard or other parts?

Many thanks for your help

July 16, 2009 11:18:45 AM

chances are it was trying to protect the cpu from overheating .

if it boots it boots and if it doesnt then maybe you fried the i7
[ but i dont think so and it should all be good ]
July 16, 2009 12:12:59 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, it very well could be the CPU overheating.
Check the hardware monitoring tab in the BIOS and make sure you are not seeing any extreme temps at start up.
In windows, use Coretemp or Real temp to see what your temps are like and post them back.

Another thing to check would be the memory.
Run Memtest through a few passes to make sure your RAM is working properly.
Also, make sure the RAM speed, Voltage and timings are manually and properly set in the BIOS.

Make sure to check for any stupid mistakes.
Is your CPU cooler fully and properly mounted?
Are any of your add in cards or your RAM sticks not fully seated?
Are any motherboards grounding out anywhere?
Any cables/connectors/wires worked their way lose?
Related resources
July 16, 2009 12:38:38 PM

I am familiar with the CPU overheating, my previous PC had an AMD FX60 that had that issue in the past. I will check everything again tonight, although I believe when I was in the bios yesterday the CPU was running ok at about 36C. A grounding as well might have been the case.. interesting. I am at work now, so not much I can do, I will post any update later on.
Thanks
August 20, 2009 3:53:23 AM

I have the same problem with this issue, but can't find out what is wrong, any suggestion?

Thanks
!