Someone give me an opinion

jjd228

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I have been using an Intel D975XBX2 for 2+ years. I have 4 SATA drives connected to the internal Intel RAID controller in a RAID10 configuration, and another single drive on the internal Marvel RAID controller.

2GB RAM
2.40GHz Core2 Duo

This system has run flawlessly forever. The other day I had a quick power outage in my house. I restarted and all seemed fine. A few hours later I got an alert that one of the RAID10 drives had failed. Hoping that this was just a hiccup I removed it from the RAID array via the RAID config utility, re-added it, and rebuilt the array. Everything was fine now. Later that night another drive "failed." Same thing... rebuilt it and it was ok again. But every day a different drive gets errors and I have to do this. Obviously all of my drives didn't die at the same time so I'm assuming the power hit fried something.

I flashed the systme BIOS with no luck, still get failed drives every day. I ran a memory diag and no errors were reported. So... what do I replace? Did the RAID controller get damaged and I should replace the motherboard? Processor maybe? Power supply?

Interesting note - In addition to the Intel RAID errors I am getting, the Marvel controller lost its RAID configuration data after the power hit and needed to be reset, and the system will also completely lockup randomly even when no RAID errors have been reported. So something is definitely very wrong.

Given my symptoms, what is the most likely culprit? I'd really like to get this right the first time so I only have to take apart and rebuild this thing once.

Thanks!

jjd228

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Thanks but as I mentioned I reloaded the bios with the latest version. And since 5 different drives are experiencing the same issues, it's virtually impossible that they all failed at the same time. It is much more likely that the RAID controllers or their firmware were damaged. But since the bios flash didn't fix the problem, I'm leaning toward a problem with the power supply, motherboard, or processor. Trying a power supply today.