rpg_lurker

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The time has come to say goodbye to my Athlon 3700+ system and I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck to replace it. I currently have a DELL 2001FP display which works nicely at 1600x1200....So the first question is do I build a rig around 1600x1200? Or is there a good argument to shell bucks for a new display?...
I was considering an Intel core i7 920 for future proofing my setup (I do tend to hold on to a setup until it turns to dust, so future proofing is a big deal)....The majority of my usage puts the CPU to sleep, software development, web browsing, etc., but I also do video editing and gaming, so I try to build something to support gaming. My computers tend to stay ON 24/7 and I burn up a lot of power supplies. I have learned the hard way that even the top of the line PSU will only live 2-3 years with my typical usage, so I cannot skimp there (good warranties give me 5-6 years before the replacement PSU dies). I am cool with overclocking, but wary because I leave things running constantly. I am looking to keep costs below $1000, and again the goal is biggest bang for the buck.
So I was hoping you could help me spend some hard earned money. Thanks for your input in advance.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13596168

Look at this. 1,100 W/O MIR and combo deals.
There's at least 50$ in combo deals, and another 50$ in MIR. The combo deals are with the motherboard and CPU, and the RAM and HD. If you look around, I'm sure there's another one with the GPU and another item. 50$ in Mail In Rebates, so that brings it to about 1,000$. Not bad considering you can SLI later in the future, will easily last 2 years with minimal upgrades, and is upgradable, but not future proof (no computer is).
Good luck.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13596168

rpg_lurker

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Wow...what a sweet way to share a config! Thanks that is a rockin build. (Not a big deal, but your selected dvd is out of stock)...

Thank you very much!

I saw the BFG GTX275 for only $9 more...Is there any reason NOT to step up for only $9?

woah...dropped it into the shopping cart and now my eyes are opened! Amazing deal! :eek: