Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OK SSD SATA III it is, but which one?

Last response: in Storage
April 13, 2011 2:38:20 PM

I have posted and found many different explinations of what to look for in a sata 3 ssd and on other review sites and manufacturers sites have found some interesting news. Read and write speed is of importance, but do not put all your eggs in that basket. The controllers for these new sata 3 ssd's seem to be all Marvell, even the Intel uses a Marvell controller. Are there any news out there about different controllers for the sata 3's?

Second of all, when you are using one of these, you are using the random 4k r/w more than anything after boot-up. So a high mark in that area would seem to be the deal breaker if using for gaming and fast video editing, not the sequintial read and write speed that everyone is looking at when it comes to like the OCZ 120 GB SATA III in the 570 read range and the 500 write range. You only will use this on the start-up of OS and loading of the actuall game. But in real-life applications, where it must go back and forth, reading and writing, the random R/W is where the main concern is. An extra second on Win 7 loading is not a deal breaker.

So, have I been mistaken at looking at just the fastest one on the market? Do I need to backtrack and see if more info comes out on the random access over time on these things? Sure I am in a hurry, but can wait a month or so. And OCZ does not have the greatest indurance ratings out there, just the fastest.

Also in my other post I got confussed by a question of my mobo using an Intel controller or a Marvell controller for my SATA III connections? Everything I have read seem to say it is included in the SSD itself.

So who got to grab the OCZ SATA III 120 and how is it working out and how about the Intel 510 and Crucial C300 128GB? I am looking for some info about the actual usage over a month and random R/W degradation, even with trim/GC. So any graphs compairing would be helpful as I have seen no direct head-to-head comparison chart as of yet. Also, anyone know when the new Crucial C400 is due out? :bounce: 

More about : ssd sata iii

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
April 13, 2011 5:00:53 PM

If you are upgrading from a hard disk drive to a solid state drive, then just about any ssd will be a major improvement and you will be pleased with it.

In addition to ssd's with Marvel controllers there are ssd's with SandForce Controllers. The ssd's with SandForce Controllers are popular with gamers and enthusiasts.

SSD's have an internal controller. Motherboards have a chipset and there are drivers that work with the ssd. The two most common are Marvel and Intel. It is becoming common for a motherboard to have both the Marvel and Intel chipsets onboard. You can usually tell which SATA port on a motherboard is connected to which chipset by the color of the SATA port (consult the motherboard owners manual). If an ssd has a Marvel controller, then Intel chipset and drivers are preferred - better performance.

There appear to be some questions about synthetic benchmarks and how they relate to real world situations. The problem is that it is not easy to interpret the benchmark results in practical terms. The only consensus I find is that software programs installed on a ssd will load faster than software installed on a hard disk drive. Beyond that everything is pretty murky. There may or may not be improvements in performance depending on how a ssd is used. It seems to be an individual matter with varying results.

The correct name of the Crucial C400 is actually M4. Although reviews have been published it looks like they will not be released until later this month. The exact date is unknown at this time.

Here is a link to an excellent article about SandForce controllers, data compression, and throughput capability that was just published yesterday:

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/featur...

The article contains links to articles with more useful information.
April 20, 2011 11:52:47 AM

Best answer selected by pjmoses.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 20, 2011 6:08:04 PM

thought you already had a V3 "on the way"?

fact is all the top line drives will have excellent small random performance. V3 is very strong on the write side whereas the others seem to be a bit stronger on the reads.

all the users and reviews will soon sort out all the "benchmark interpretation" of what the requirements for real data should be soon enough.
m
l
April 20, 2011 6:34:33 PM

It is on back-order an could change if need be. I have even thought of getting WD Black Caviar 1TB's in RAID 0 instead, now that I have had time to think about it. Really not sure it is worth $300 for only 120 Gb. Will I be blown away by the preformance and be happy? Or will a RAID make me faster and a little happier than just my 2Tb Toshiba? Just starting to question all this money I am spending and if I am getting a good return on my investment. What do you think GRoberts?
m
l
a b G Storage
April 20, 2011 8:36:18 PM

Those that go to SSD never go back to HDD for an OS volume. I even put an old Indilinx controlled SSD on my kids old P4 system and despite being bottlenecked from IDE to SATA adapter speeds(30MB/s)?.. is night and day for how snappy it is compared to the spinner.

And don't get caught up on linear transfer speeds when it comes to an OS volumes main duties. It's all about the latency, small randoms, and IOPS with SSD.

To put it into perspective for you from the OS volumes potential gains?.. I've run 6 drive HDD arrays and I would take 1 SSD over them any day.

Try to open 8 apps and have multiple copy/pastes running simultaniously on HDD once and do the same on SSD. HUGE difference in the overall feel of the SSD in comparison to much faster linear speeds from an HDD array.

The only ones I've ever heard complain of the limited gain per $$$ spent are the ones who didn't care about speed or waiting for an HDD in the first place.

In the end, it basically just boils down to buying time with SSD. How valuable is yours?
m
l
April 20, 2011 9:38:57 PM

Not very valuable, just no patience. lol I am sticking with my order and going with a couple 6.0 1Tb HDD in RAID 0 for all other stuff and programs. In for a penny in for a grand, or two. Just use my 2Tb 6.0 wisely for backing up everything. That will make everything 6.0 and know that there will be no conflicts with the controllers.
m
l
April 20, 2011 10:57:07 PM

pjmoses said:
Not very valuable, just no patience. lol I am sticking with my order and going with a couple 6.0 1Tb HDD in RAID 0 for all other stuff and programs. In for a penny in for a grand, or two. Just use my 2Tb 6.0 wisely for backing up everything. That will make everything 6.0 and know that there will be no conflicts with the controllers.

If you haven't bought those drives yet, I have three 640 GB Caviar Black drives (the dual-processor ones) in RAID-5 and RAID-0 and have to say I'm not overly impressed by the performance. In regular usage it is alright, but nothing special, and in running multiple VMs at the same time to do relatively disk-intensive activities such as updates or installs, its plain disappointing. Admittedly I'm using the built-in RAID on my P8P67 Pro, but I'm not up for dropping more money on what will ultimately become secondary storage.

I have held off on getting an SSD to wait for the SATA3 options to fill out a little and hopefully get some word on the 25nm durability, I'd advise you to do the same but unless you're using RAID-1 to protect your data, I wouldn't bother with more than one drive - the SSD will eclipse any reasonable number of drives anyways.
m
l
April 21, 2011 4:33:36 AM

Well thanks for the advice, I am off to the hospital for surgery and will be gone for a few days. Will get back to Ya when I am out next week. I give the RAID thing some thought until then. Maybe they will ship the new Vertex 3's out by then. I am sure I need the SSD because of constantly rebooting after tweaking and overclock testing. I reboot sometimes 20 times a day and that time adds up.
m
l
!