Sign in with
Your question

First SSD | Performance Gain? | SATAII/III

Last response: in Storage
April 13, 2011 3:12:37 PM

I've yet to purchase an SSD thus far. But I just build a new i7 2600k + Asus p8p67 deluxe system. I'm know that board has SATA III 6.0GBs ports on it but not sure if it has bootable support or not but either or...

Right now I have a WD HDD 160GB 10,000rpm raptor. If I were to buy a small SSD like 60GB for my Windows 7 64-bit partition, and just have the OS on the SSD, which means all data storage, games, and programs will be kepted on a seperate drive(either the raptor or a standard 1TB seagate drive).

So with that information where would I see a significant performance gain? I'm assuming that bootable times will be shortant, and all OS operations, but if my programs and games are on a separate drive, they won't improve correct? Will games / programs run or boot any better if the SSD only contains the OS? What about if I'm writing data / media from a normal HDD to another normal HDD, there wouldn't be improved write speeds there I assume?

This leads to the question, is spending $200 or less on a SSD really worth it to just contain the OS? I would assume its worth it if I wait, spend more $$ on a bigger SSD that would also contain programs and games so they can benefit as well.

I'm sorry if my assumptions are correct and I'm already answering my own questions but I'm looking for some opinions and I have no experience with SSDs or know much about them.

Thanks in Advance!
a c 303 G Storage
April 13, 2011 4:20:29 PM

Your post is fairly accurate. The performance gain with be seen in the Windows 7 operating system.

Some gamers and enthusists purchase a larger capacity drive and install their most used software applications and one or two of the most played games on the ssd.

A game installed on an ssd will load faster. If you need to consult a map or a chart it may load faster but that's about it. An ssd will not increase fps.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 13, 2011 4:26:32 PM

1) I would wait to spend more on a bigger SSD. In my opinion, at least 120GB is the ideal size for a SSD, so you can have games (a few) and programs install on the SSD.

2) You will see the major benefit in load times of the OS on an OS only used SSD. It will not make the other applications run faster, as they are still being controlled/accessed through the mechanical drives.

edit: JohnnyLucky beat me to the response :D 
m
l
April 13, 2011 5:00:20 PM

Thanks Guys. I understand that I won't see an increase in FPS, but how about for example, BF-Bad Company 2 for loading into servers or when a server changes map. Would I load into the game faster if the game was installed on a SSD?

If the OS is on the SSD, isn't is the OS performing the copy / cut / paste operations? If I were transferring data / media to a HDD would I see a performance increase in writing to an internal HDD? I assume I wouldn't.

Also what about network operations, if I had a file share server and the files / data that were being shared on my network were to be on a SSD and assume the network to be fully configured with gigabit routers / switches / NICs and cat6 cabling. Would there be an increase in performance when streaming media through the network?

I'm not sure if my next question fits in this section of the forums and I apologize in advance for that but what if I had a domain controller that had a SSD, and the profiles / active directory services were installed on the SSD, would my domain users see a decrease in time when loading profiles upon domain login? (Also assuming everything is gigabit configured)
m
l
!