Trying to figure out my bottleneck

Aw0ll

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
A couple years ago I built my own computer. It was my first time, but I feel I did well. Anyway, now that time has come for my to start looking to upgrade. To squeeze out some life, I am trying to upgrade a bit and would love to know what my current bottleneck is...

Here are my specs (I apologize if not very specific):

Mobo: nVidia 680i
Proc: e6600 C2D 2.4ghz @ 2.92ghz
RAM: 4gig DDR2 PC6400 RAM @ 800mzh
PSU: 550w
Vid card: GTS 250 (new, my old one just died on me)
HDD: 2 x 250gig 7200rpm SATA
Sound card: SB Xfi gamer

I don't need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I am thinking that the proc is probably my current bottleneck, but I am not certain. I am looking to upgrade to the e8400 C2D soon. I use this computer as a gaming rig more than anything. I don't have a massive budget so I can't upgarde multiple components at once. I just want to give this more life until I can build an all new computer (probably in a year or so).

Aw0ll

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Well, I just threw down $160'ish for the GTS 250 vid card. So, I am looking at another small upgrade of around $200 as well. Probably in a month or two.

My current monitor goes up to 1280 x 1024. Its older, but not dead yet...

I suppose what is making me think of upgrading is the newer vid card. If it is too fast for the current system, I want to utilize its fullest potential.

However, if an upgrade isn't wholly necessary... I am all for that... saves me money. =)

Well if it is still able to perform as you want there is no need for an upgrade. if not then you need to specify what isnt up to your standards so we can figure out what to upgrade. Since you OC'ed you CPU you shouldnt be bottlenecking it too badly.