Sil3124 Raid 1

ssjmarth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hello,

I recently purchased the SiI 3124 controller and installed it into my system with no issues. I am currently booting off of an IDE drive and created a mirrored array for redundant storage using two other drives. After formatting the disc and seeing it in Windows XP the array manager showed the discs as green. Next, I created 5 empty folders and rebooted the computer. During the BIOS post of the SoftRaid5 controller a warning message came up saying RAID1 is in rebuilt status. Once in Windows I started the Array Manager and my Mirror Array went from green to yellow. Opening up Task manager under Array Manager shows task 0, Operation Rebuild RAID Group, Parameters RAID Group 0, Status Active, Priority 10, Progress 0%, Start Time 4/12/11 9:57:11 PM, End Time <blank>, Remaining - bounces back between 45:00:00 to 66:18:30. I do not believe this is normal. I am currently running version 1.5.3.0 of Array Manager with BIOS version 6.6.00 with driver 1.5.23.0.

zom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

It is normal. Although you saw the disks as green, a view of the Task Manager window would have shown the array in "Create RAID Group" status, which is an array initialization process.

My experience shows that if you boot a machine whilst the RAID group is building then there is a chance of corruption of the build process, which results in the task going from create to rebuild. The only way to mitigate this risk is to go into the SATARAID5 Manager Task Manager window and suspend the create/rebuild process before you reboot.

The Remaining values do jump around a lot. I dont know why if you arent using the array, but it is normal.

Also, array performance can be woefully slow when the array is in create/repair.