elsmandino

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hi everyone

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
MS-6570 K7N2 AMD Motherboard
HDD 1 Hitachi HDP725050GLAT80 (500GB IDE)
HDD 2 Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB IDE)
HDD 3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB SATA) - Connected via VT6421A SATA PCI Adapter
Advance MPT-300 300W PSU
Generic Armada Case - room for 5 hard drive ports,and 4 optical drive ports
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 116-D
Additional 80-mm case fan
2 x 512 DDR 400 RAM

The above is my main computer and I have a computer with the following plugged into my television

XP 1800+
40 GB IDE HDD
160 GB IDE HDD
200w unbranded PSU
This is just used for internet browsing and taking files off my Topfield PVR

The two computers are both connected to my router via ethernet.

My question is this:

My main computer is now getting to the point that it is just too slow and I need an upgrade.
I realised that it would pretty much be pointless and not cost-effective sticking in any more RAM or
a cheap GPU. The other thing that worries me is that I am running a lot of stuff on a 300W PSU - especially
as it is not a well-known make.

Ideally, I would like to have my main computer attached to the telly with the 120, 160 and 500 GB hard drives and
use this for backing up from my new to be bought computer. I realise that I am going to have to put in a new PSU and would be
grateful for a recommendation - I doubt that I will add much more to this computer, but would like a bit of head room
just in case.

This is fine, but it occurred to me that it might just be better to get rid of both computers and build a very basic dual core
computer for the living room and then build a pretty high spec for the main computer.

What is everyone's opinion? Stick with the 2500 XP, considering it is only going to be used for backing up and surfing the net
(but what would be the advantage of getting, say a cheap E2400 dual core for instance, with a media centre board (e.g.Abit I-N73 HD) - is their any real benefit?

The other option would be to get a basic dual core and use this as my main computer for a year or so
and then build a high spec and put the basic dual core in next to the telly.

Sorry for such a huge question, but your views would be really appreciated.

It all depends on your budget. Personally i would keep the current main and use it as a second one, but if you have the budget for it then you can get a decent dual core HTPC and a higher end gaming computer but it all depends on the budget.

elsmandino

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for that. Having thought about it, it would be the most sensible to just switch the computers and build a new rig.

Thanks

A