Sufficient SLI Power?

I have this kingwin 730 watt PSU. I'm having problems with games in full screen getting artifacts when sli is enabled. I'm thinking maybe I don't have enough power? My question is my power supply powerful enough to support my system?
System Specs:
Core i7 920
6gb ddr3 1333
2 GTX 280's
640GB WD hardrive
NEC DVD burner
MSI X58 Pro-e mobo
or does anyone know what may be causing the problem? I get no artifacts when disabling SLI or when i run the game in a window instead of fullscreen.
37 answers Last reply
More about sufficient power
  1. Try each card one at a time and see if one of the cards are faulty. Its possible your temps are to high with both cards under load. What are temps? Can you give exact model of psu.
  2. I don't like your PSU. :) Try to borrow a PSU made by a certified brand from your friends and see the difference.
  3. Oh sorry i missed the link you provided. The psu should work but see if the temps are affecting it first before buying a new psu.
  4. Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I've tested both cards independently and they are both working perfectly. PSU: KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX 12V Ver.2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply. newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121045&Tpk=kingwin%20730. temps are around 40 idle and 65-70 load
  5. Try to reinstall drivers and see if that help. Do you have an extra psu you could use to test if your psu is failing to power the cards?
  6. invisik said:
    Try to reinstall drivers and see if that help. Do you have an extra psu you could use to test if your psu is failing to power the cards?

    I'm currently on forceware 190.38 which i've reinstalled a couple of times but nothing changed. What do you guys think about either going to an older driver version or the beta 190.40? unfortunately no i don't have any extra power supplys. Any other suggestions?
  7. Might be a PSU problem.
  8. Yea, I wouldn't power dual 280's with anything under a Corsair TX750.....
  9. I've solved this problem! I shut down my pc removed my SLI bridge powered up and no longer have any artifacts or graphic glitches and have the same FPS as I did with the bridge.
  10. On what resolution/settings do you play?
  11. 1920x1080 all high settings
  12. Faulty bridge perhaps? Do you have another bridge that came with the other card you could try? Really you should have the bridge on there since that's what syncs the cards together.
  13. True that... if you use both card's in Sli the bridge Must be attached or you are basically running a non-Sli setup...
  14. I guess it must be faulty although I do not have another bridge to test out. Really disappointed if the bridge is faulty since I had to order it off ebay because neither my cards or mobo came with a sli bridge.
  15. Either the bridge is faulty or the PSU can't handle the SLI setup.
  16. OvrClkr said:
    True that... if you use both card's in Sli the bridge Must be attached or you are basically running a non-Sli setup...

    I always thought so too but reading around I'm not so sure. my 3dmark vantage scores are nearly identical
  17. Try 3Dmark06, if you get the same score then your board is not recognizing one of the cards.....
  18. masterjaw said:
    Either the bridge is faulty or the PSU can't handle the SLI setup.

    I'm thinking it's the psu too, but why can I still play games perfectly fine in windowed mode if my psu cant handle the sli set up?
  19. Maybe your not really running in SLI? Just a hunch though.
  20. uuuggghhh..... guess i'm getting a new PSU
  21. Don't buy something without knowing the source of the cause....
  22. Try to borrow an SLI bridge first from your neighbor and see if it would do the trick.
  23. I'm using a dvi to hdmi adapter to hook up to a sony 40 inch hdtv. i noticed that the dvi adapter has fewer pins than what looks like should plug in to the dvi input on the card. could this have anything to do with my problems? I'n just making stabs in the dark here.
  24. if the pins are only missing from the middle you should be fine at that resolution, thats what my dvi cable looks like
  25. Even if the sli bridge is faulty no reason for artifacts. I ran my runs without the cable. Only affect lower fps but no crashes or artifacts. Psu problem in my opinion now.
  26. Before running benchies, turn the Sli indicators on and if you are in SLI mode without the bridge and no visual corruption just go with it.
  27. Mousemonkey said:
    Before running benchies, turn the Sli indicators on and if you are in SLI mode without the bridge and no visual corruption just go with it.

    yep I'm in sli mode even without the bridge. I'll just go with this until I'm able to buy a new PSU.
  28. Try getting a new bridge first (much cheaper).
  29. Something else that's interesting, when i record the game getting artifacts using fraps the raw video shows no artifacts or graphic glitches. THIS post describes my exact problem. The poster resolved that removing the bridge was the only thing that worked for him and so far is the only thing that's worked for me.
  30. can anyone recommend a PSU manufacturer and wattage for dual gtx 280's and a core i7
  31. pinkzeppelin97 said:
    can anyone recommend a PSU manufacturer and wattage for dual gtx 280's and a core i7

    My favourite.
  32. pinkzeppelin97 said:
    can anyone recommend a PSU manufacturer and wattage for dual gtx 280's and a core i7


    This is what I would buy :

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=850TX

    if you want modular......

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&Tpk=HX850

    ========================================================================

    waiting for the trolls to disagree and pull out the infamous PSU calc..... :whistle:
  33. OvrClkr said:
    This is what I would buy :

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=850TX

    if you want modular......

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011&Tpk=HX850

    ========================================================================

    waiting for the trolls to disagree and pull out the infamous PSU calc..... :whistle:

    I got there first! [:mousemonkey:3]
  34. I guess I jumped in front of you..... lol ;)
  35. Thing is I'm sure I saw an article where they were testing power usage and PSU's using a pair of 280's but I can't find it.
  36. ordered a corsair hx1000w from newegg friday.
  37. just got my new psu, hooked everything up and..... still having the same problem with artifacts and color flashes, F my life. this eliminates the possibility of psu being the problem any more help?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Power Graphics