2gb ram
Antec True Power 550 PSU
(3) Maxtor IDE 250gb HD's
TDK DVD burner
TDK CD burner
Dual monitors (1) 2408 FWP and (1) 2408 WFP
Antec P180 Case
Seagate external hard drives (2) firewire

Sonce I started running dual monitors i have a little lag. Also the seagate drives hooked up by fire wire (daisy chained) seem to slow the system down also. Suggestions???

Is there anything I can do to enhance this system's performance or am I at it's end? It runs great and I use it as my work station since I work out of my house as an estimator. No gaming.

Would it be wise to build a i7-920 system with Vista 64bit and make a slow transition over to the new build with all my apps? I keep reading about all the new hardware fast benchmarks. Has anybody moved from the current rig I have to a i7-920. Any improvement in performance? I am on a fence and don't know what to do? I think my system is somewhat obsolete and would like to keep up with the latest and greatest. Advice please? What would you do? Thanks.

More about : upgrade build

July 16, 2009 8:15:31 PM

you can't really upgrade that system, so best idea would be to build a new i7 one.

It would give a major improvement in performance.
July 16, 2009 8:25:45 PM

Your setup looks to be on it's last legs. A lot of the parts are pretty out of date, and it could definetly do with a complete overhaul. I'd suggest building yourself a nice new machine around the i7 920. 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and some new SATA hard drives and optical drives would also be fantastic. A newer video card might take some of the lag out of using dual monitors. I am planning on using a Radeon HD 3650 512MB in a workstation I am building. It's only $30 after a mail in rebate from newegg.com.

As far as the firewire thing is concerned, do you have the ability to use e-SATA? It would be much faster. I'm not very familiar with firewire, as I don't think I've ever used it, but e-SATA should definetly bring them up to speed.
!