  • Macintosh
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 1:33:58 PM

i am a little thrilled and a little disappointed. i love all of the
elements of realism they added, from the actual 3D look of it to the
concept of aging and family. but i hate that there's no downtown. i
mean there's a place to grill burgers and buy magazines, but no
restaurants, no more dating, no picking up people in bars. are they
gone for good or did i just not find it?

it's also a little buggy, i'm crashing and can't even blame it on
random skins or objects.

how do you change their clothes? the armoire's only let you change from
everyday to pjs or swimsuit etc.

and no pets?

More about : mac sims

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:32:38 PM

Thanks for all that. i guess if the pc side doesn't have Nightlife
expansion yet, we mac people can look forward to enjoying it in 2012.
::sigh::
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:12:07 PM

moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:

> i am a little thrilled and a little disappointed. i love all of the
> elements of realism they added, from the actual 3D look of it to the
> concept of aging and family. but i hate that there's no downtown. i
> mean there's a place to grill burgers and buy magazines, but no
> restaurants, no more dating, no picking up people in bars. are they
> gone for good or did i just not find it?
>
> it's also a little buggy, i'm crashing and can't even blame it on
> random skins or objects.
>
> how do you change their clothes? the armoire's only let you change from
> everyday to pjs or swimsuit etc.
>
> and no pets?

No pets yet.

Bars/restaurants are coming with the Nightlife expansion. So are true Dates.

You need to go to a community lot and buy more clothes- these will be
put in your armoire so you have more options.

I don't know if there is a site devoted to fixing the Mac bugs.

-georg
June 15, 2005 11:11:21 PM

moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:
> i am a little thrilled and a little disappointed. i love all of the
> elements of realism they added, from the actual 3D look of it to the
> concept of aging and family. but i hate that there's no downtown. i
> mean there's a place to grill burgers and buy magazines, but no
> restaurants, no more dating, no picking up people in bars. are they
> gone for good or did i just not find it?
>
> it's also a little buggy, i'm crashing and can't even blame it on
> random skins or objects.
>
> how do you change their clothes? the armoire's only let you change from
> everyday to pjs or swimsuit etc.
>
> and no pets?

Like the rest of us, you will have to wait for the expansion pack
Nightlife for downtown and restaurants and dating and bars. Unlike the
rest of us, you will have to wait a lot longer with a Mac. ;-)

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:54:51 -0400, Invid Fan <invid@localnet.com>
wrote:

>In article <42B07D4E.2050005@earthlink.net>, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
><chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Like the rest of us, you will have to wait for the expansion pack
>> Nightlife for downtown and restaurants and dating and bars. Unlike the
>> rest of us, you will have to wait a lot longer with a Mac. ;-)
>
>Yes, but it's nice having you guys do the beta testing for us ^_^

I don't know, I think the Mac comes with it's own set of unique
problems given the system architecture.

>One problem I seem to have with the mac version, though, is the nudity
>cheat 'intprop censorgridsize 0' doesn't seem to work. That's assuming
>I'm entering it right, naturally. Whenever a sim gets naked, the screen
>freezes untill he gets dressed again (when the blur would normally be
>there, in other words). Very depressing.

Ouch.. can't imagine it's case sensitive, but perhaps worth a try.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:54:42 PM

Invid Fan wrote:

> Yes, but it's nice having you guys do the beta testing for us ^_^

Don't think it works that way. Presumably when programmed for the Mac you
would get your own set of bugs regardless of the things fixed for the PC
version.

Gareeth
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:19:28 AM

Hi

Good to hear from you again!
How are you?
I get the change of clothes from the community lots, tis slow to get there,
then they get all the options..
I got uni when it came out, but I'm not impressed with it, like you, I',
waiting on the Nightlife. I miss Hot Date and the downtown dining :)
Anyway take care
Julia
:)

<moochachanyc@mac.com> wrote in message
>i am a little thrilled and a little disappointed. i love all of the
> elements of realism they added, from the actual 3D look of it to the
> concept of aging and family. but i hate that there's no downtown. i
> mean there's a place to grill burgers and buy magazines, but no
> restaurants, no more dating, no picking up people in bars. are they
> gone for good or did i just not find it?
>
> it's also a little buggy, i'm crashing and can't even blame it on
> random skins or objects.
>
> how do you change their clothes? the armoire's only let you change from
> everyday to pjs or swimsuit etc.
>
> and no pets?

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:26:56 PM

hi julia, good to see you again too :)  i'm hoping to get back into the
soap, i got a website (livinginsim.com) for it in case i do and i'm at
least gonna put the old soap up for now. i have to see how much time i
have etc.

more thoughts on sims 2:
i totally agree with the guy on the censor blur. it does the same thing
to me and it's now even more disappointing and depressing to learn that
it's supposed to better but it isn't.

love the whole baby thing, from morning sickness to toddler. but, and
this makes me sound a hundred and ten years old, they grow up so fast
and i'm getting old so fast. i made a couple and they had 3 kids, i got
her pregnant as soon as she had one. well, in 5 or six hours of my
time, the oldest was a teen, the second was a kid, the youngest was a
toddler and my couple turned into old people. now, granted, i play on
triple speed most of the time (i don't have the patience to watch them
stroll to the shower) and there is something fun about the wife dancing
in her old lady underwear with her teenage daughter, but it seems out
of whack. is there some alternative to the youth elixer that can slow
the process down or stop it on individual sims? i want the babies to
turn into teens, but i'd like to stop it there for awhile, so i can
work on their aspirations too. there just isn't enough time before they
turn decrepit to work out their aspirations, the kids aspirations and
keep them clean and fed.

also, i have 2 families, one the couple described above and one is a
single mom (love singles can get pregnant!) and between them there've
been 5 children born. every one is a girl. and they all look the same
pretty much. is this just a coincidence or is it happening to others
too?

do the sims age when you don't play them? say i have 2 families, A and
B, if i play A for 20 hours, will my B family get old while i'm playing
A or be in some kind of suspended animation?

thanks!
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:26:03 PM

georg, are you mac or pc? if you're mac, how does the remove censor
blur work for you? do they just freeze in the middle then resume
whatever they were doing? it was definitely glitchy for me and i
crashed shortly after so i'm thinking it wasn't working right.

it's not that the elixer is difficult to use, it's just annoying to
keep aquiring aspiration points (eat chili at 7am, your daughter
becomes an overachiever [and how does that work exactly?], have a baby
[when i'm already pregnant] or propose marriage [when i want to stay
single]) i just find the whole thing annoying that i can't play how i
want, i'm making them do things i don't care about to get points so i
can buy an elixer machine so that i can reclaim the 5 days of their
lives i wasted earning points for it.

i find the genetics thing fascinating. i think my people are all
blandly good looking, perhaps i need to incorparate bizzare features --
humonguous ears or something -- to see what gets passed on.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:52:14 PM

moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:

> more thoughts on sims 2:
> i totally agree with the guy on the censor blur. it does the same thing
> to me and it's now even more disappointing and depressing to learn that
> it's supposed to better but it isn't.

I hate the censor blur. I have removed it.

> is there some alternative to the youth elixer that can slow
> the process down or stop it on individual sims?

There are various hacks for this, but the elixir is pretty easy to use.

> also, i have 2 families, one the couple described above and one is a
> single mom (love singles can get pregnant!) and between them there've
> been 5 children born. every one is a girl. and they all look the same
> pretty much. is this just a coincidence or is it happening to others
> too?

Probably a coincindence. I have been playing with genetics, and not all
of my kids look the same. I have found the father's genetics is a *huge*
influence. So are custom features.

> do the sims age when you don't play them? say i have 2 families, A and
> B, if i play A for 20 hours, will my B family get old while i'm playing
> A or be in some kind of suspended animation?

Nope. They only age as you play them. Thank goodness. Several of my
families would keep over while I play with others...

-georg
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:59:53 PM

moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:

> georg, are you mac or pc? if you're mac, how does the remove censor
> blur work for you? do they just freeze in the middle then resume
> whatever they were doing? it was definitely glitchy for me and i
> crashed shortly after so i'm thinking it wasn't working right.

Nope, I'm PC, but the rest of it applies. Because you are mac, I won't
suggest my beloved Flamingo of Happiness that lets you ignore the
Aspirations.

I'd haunt Modthesims2.com and actively seek mac hacks that do what you
want to do though.

One thing- if one them is adtively seeking things that build aspiration
and it goes along with your plan- there is no personal label on the
Elixir- so if one person gets it, the others can use. Not sure if that
is helpful or not- and probably isn't.

> i find the genetics thing fascinating. i think my people are all
> blandly good looking, perhaps i need to incorparate bizzare features --
> humonguous ears or something -- to see what gets passed on.

I have found an alien abduction mixed with the maid Remmington Harris'
nose can get one some very ugly men, and some really pretty ladies.
Currently trying to hook them up and breed them with a couple of
lantern-jawed ex-prize fighters, just to fix that jawline!

-georg
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:40:07 AM

i was just reading in the prima strategy guide that the personalities
are mixtures from both parents. i'll test it when i get a chance make a
couple where they're both sporty spice 10 neat, 10 athletic, 5 nice, 0
playful and 0 whatever the other one is. then look at their offspring
personalites. should be easy enough to test.

i was asking, originally, if there was a way to turn aging off for
individuals but since i play so fast it would be nice to turn it off
for everyone for awhile to work on their aspirations etc. what's the
cheat for that?

thanks!
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:43:35 PM

> moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:
>
> > is there some alternative to the youth elixer that can slow
> > the process down or stop it on individual sims?
>
> There are various hacks for this, but the elixir is pretty easy to use.

You can use the aging -off cheat also.

> > also, i have 2 families, one the couple described above and one is a
> > single mom (love singles can get pregnant!) and between them there've
> > been 5 children born. every one is a girl. and they all look the same
> > pretty much. is this just a coincidence or is it happening to others
> > too?
>
> Probably a coincindence. I have been playing with genetics, and not all
> of my kids look the same. I have found the father's genetics is a *huge*
> influence. So are custom features.

Did you know though, georg, that their personalities can be the same - or at
least that's what I read at MTS2? When you start up the game fresh each
time it sort of resets. If a child is born, it gets the first personality
on the list and if you have a second birth in that game session, you only
then get a different one - the second on the list. I'd assumed it must be a
random roll each time but apparently not. I was wondering why all my kids
were maximum niceness and maximum neatness (have so few births that I rarely
get more than one per game session) - not my idea of fun at all. I've not
actually observed this myself but I think it might be worth an experiment.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:47:29 PM

When you breed them, Maxis has put in a routine to normalise the faces of
the children, so extreme features tend to get bred out until all your sims
look Californian-ideal bland. However, you can turn it off with a cheat:

faceBlendLimits -off

oh yes.

Best wishes
Maxon

> i find the genetics thing fascinating. i think my people are all
> blandly good looking, perhaps i need to incorparate bizzare features --
> humonguous ears or something -- to see what gets passed on.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:12:09 PM

Maxon wrote:

> "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:
>>

>>>is there some alternative to the youth elixer that can slow
>>>the process down or stop it on individual sims?
>>
>>There are various hacks for this, but the elixir is pretty easy to use.
>

> You can use the aging -off cheat also.

Yes, but that works on the whole house. Babies stay babies with aging
off. That doesn't keep the adults from going elder while the kids age
normally, which is what the OP requested.

>>>also, i have 2 families, one the couple described above and one is a
>>>single mom (love singles can get pregnant!) and between them there've
>>>been 5 children born. every one is a girl. and they all look the same
>>>pretty much. is this just a coincidence or is it happening to others
>>>too?
>>
>>Probably a coincindence. I have been playing with genetics, and not all
>>of my kids look the same. I have found the father's genetics is a *huge*
>>influence. So are custom features.
>>

> Did you know though, georg, that their personalities can be the same - or at
> least that's what I read at MTS2? When you start up the game fresh each
> time it sort of resets. If a child is born, it gets the first personality
> on the list and if you have a second birth in that game session, you only
> then get a different one - the second on the list. I'd assumed it must be a
> random roll each time but apparently not. I was wondering why all my kids
> were maximum niceness and maximum neatness (have so few births that I rarely
> get more than one per game session) - not my idea of fun at all. I've not
> actually observed this myself but I think it might be worth an experiment.

I can do a report on this. I'll check into it. Have six newlyweds to
have kids, can have all have 3 kids and see if identical.

-georg
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:12:50 PM

Maxon wrote:

> When you breed them, Maxis has put in a routine to normalise the faces of
> the children, so extreme features tend to get bred out until all your sims
> look Californian-ideal bland. However, you can turn it off with a cheat:
>
> faceBlendLimits -off

Does that go in the same place as the censor grid removal?

I ought to do that....

-georg
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:59:32 PM

moochachanyc@mac.com wrote:

> i was just reading in the prima strategy guide that the personalities
> are mixtures from both parents. i'll test it when i get a chance make a
> couple where they're both sporty spice 10 neat, 10 athletic, 5 nice, 0
> playful and 0 whatever the other one is. then look at their offspring
> personalites. should be easy enough to test.
>
> i was asking, originally, if there was a way to turn aging off for
> individuals but since i play so fast it would be nice to turn it off
> for everyone for awhile to work on their aspirations etc. what's the
> cheat for that?
>
> thanks!

aging off

and to turn back on,

aging on

-georg
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:01:46 AM

Maxon wrote:

> Did you know though, georg, that their personalities can be the same
> - or at least that's what I read at MTS2? When you start up the
> game
> fresh each time it sort of resets. If a child is born, it gets the
> first personality on the list and if you have a second birth in that
> game session, you only then get a different one - the second on the
> list.

I read somewhere that you have to start up CAS before having another
baby so I tried that but the second child is identical in all respects
to the first. And I can't try it anymore because somehow mom won't get
pregnant again. So I had father abducted. I bet she'll get jealous.

T.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:39:46 PM

Oh - yeah, I think you can add any of the cheats - or at least the global
ones - to the UserStartup.cheat file (if that's what you mean).

Best wishes
Maxon

> Maxon wrote:
>
> > When you breed them, Maxis has put in a routine to normalise the faces
of
> > the children, so extreme features tend to get bred out until all your
sims
> > look Californian-ideal bland. However, you can turn it off with a
cheat:

> > faceBlendLimits -off
>
> Does that go in the same place as the censor grid removal?
>
> I ought to do that....
>
> -georg
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:41:04 PM

> > You can use the aging -off cheat also.
>
> Yes, but that works on the whole house. Babies stay babies with aging
> off. That doesn't keep the adults from going elder while the kids age
> normally, which is what the OP requested.

You're right georg - not paying attention.

> > Did you know though, georg, that their personalities can be the same -
or at
> > least that's what I read at MTS2? When you start up the game fresh each
> > time it sort of resets. If a child is born, it gets the first
personality
> > on the list and if you have a second birth in that game session, you
only
> > then get a different one - the second on the list. I'd assumed it must
be a
> > random roll each time but apparently not. I was wondering why all my
kids
> > were maximum niceness and maximum neatness (have so few births that I
rarely
> > get more than one per game session) - not my idea of fun at all. I've
not
> > actually observed this myself but I think it might be worth an
experiment.

> I can do a report on this. I'll check into it. Have six newlyweds to
> have kids, can have all have 3 kids and see if identical.

oh good - I'd like to see if that one is true or just another myth.

Best
Maxon
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:47:07 PM

Hey Taemon,

I have to make a quick apology to you - you emailed me a few days ago. I've
been a bit busy with college and will write back (I hope) over the weekend.
Hope you're well.

Best
Jen

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:50:21 PM

Maxon wrote:

> I have to make a quick apology to you - you emailed me a few days
> ago. I've been a bit busy with college and will write back (I hope)
> over the weekend. Hope you're well.

Oh, that's okay. It was just a quick thing to see if everything had
gone well. I know you're busy with being a Knowledge Human :-)

On another note, remember my sim that didn't get pregnant anymore? I
had them shtoink all over the place, in the spa, in the bed, on the
bed, on, er, the other side of the bed... no baby bells. So I had her
husband abducted. The bells rang but nothing happened for the longest
time so I thought my game was screwed again, but all of a sudden he
dropped what he was doing and spewed his insides out in the toilet,
which was a mighty relief.

Two baby boys. My first twins <snif>. They were born with blue eyes,
which scared me no end, since their were no blue eyes in their
parentage. But once they grow up (about five seconds later), the blue
eyes were replaced by their non-alien father's eyes.

They both are amazingly ugly and not identical, which is a relief
(their half-sisters are, despite not being twins). I called them Axon
and Dendriet. Dendriet has way fewer personality points than Axon. But
since he's never going to find love with that face anyway I guess it
doesn't matter than he's so grouchy and so shy he doesn't even have
points there. I like him already.

And mother? She has now "have a baby" in her fears. So much for making
her jealous. Gods, this game is fun.

Greetings,
T.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:50:22 PM

Taemon wrote:

> And mother? She has now "have a baby" in her fears. So much for making
> her jealous. Gods, this game is fun.

Congratulations!!

The only time I've had a married male abducted, mum was alien offspring.
So she welcomed her little half-brother with open arms. No jealousy at all.

And Frank, who is alien offspring but still likes to visit his daddy,
has never evoked a jealous response in his wife either.

-georg
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:32:04 PM

georg wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> And mother? She has now "have a baby" in her fears. So much for
>> making her jealous. Gods, this game is fun.
> Congratulations!!

Thank you, thank you.

> The only time I've had a married male abducted, mum was alien
> offspring. So she welcomed her little half-brother with open arms.
> No
> jealousy at all.

She isn't family, but she is not jealous at all. They have a good
marriage, maybe that helps :-) They all want to be friends with each
other. Aaaaw.

T.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:26:40 AM

> >i am a little thrilled and a little disappointed. i love all of the
> > elements of realism they added, from the actual 3D look of it to the
> > concept of aging and family. but i hate that there's no downtown. i
> > mean there's a place to grill burgers and buy magazines, but no
> > restaurants, no more dating, no picking up people in bars. are they
> > gone for good or did i just not find it?
> >
> > it's also a little buggy, i'm crashing and can't even blame it on
> > random skins or objects.
> >
> > how do you change their clothes? the armoire's only let you change from
> > everyday to pjs or swimsuit etc.
> >
> > and no pets?

Moochacha,
I didn't see your original post, so I'm piggybacking here, but welcome back!
I still have your soap bookmarked and really hope you're going to revive it.
Sims 2 is a whole new experience and I can't wait to see what you come up
with.

No pressure,
Kelly
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:31:19 AM

Hey Kelly!

that's so fun and sweet of you! i have no idea what i'll come up with
or what i'll be able to do but i did get a site so i could expand. i
put the old site up so it's there but i'm planning on putting moo in
sims 2 and just seeing what happens.

here's the site: http://www.livinginsim.com and i'll let you know
if/when i start adding to it.

good to "see" you again,
Moo
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:47:24 PM

> Hey Kelly!
>
> that's so fun and sweet of you! i have no idea what i'll come up with
> or what i'll be able to do but i did get a site so i could expand. i
> put the old site up so it's there but i'm planning on putting moo in
> sims 2 and just seeing what happens.
>
> here's the site: http://www.livinginsim.com and i'll let you know
> if/when i start adding to it.
>
> good to "see" you again,
> Moo

Yay...thanks! Be sure to add me to your update list when you get it going.

Kelly
!