Sign in with
Your question

First timer overclocking, AMD Athlon II x2 245

Last response: in Overclocking
August 8, 2011 11:59:19 PM

its my first time trying to overclock. i'm currently running at 2.9ghz. whats a safe ghz to overclock to for gaming? and how do i do it.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
August 9, 2011 7:47:06 AM

what other system ?
- motherboard
- PSU
- HSF aftermarket / Stock
- RAM : how many stick , and type of RAM
You must Download CPU-z , Hw monitor , Intel Burntest / Prime95
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2011 2:02:05 PM

if you have stock everything, if you MB allows it, 3.2 or so should be fine for most part, just keep an eye on your temps.

even with aftermarket coolers you might not get much more out of it as AMD cpus don't typically overclock much unless they are the black version.

i have a 445,, i've only moved it a couple hundred mhz myself -- you probably won't notice much difference anyways may be best to upgrade the vid card or the cpu for a more noticeable experience
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2011 9:57:47 AM

monkeysweat said:
if you have stock everything, if you MB allows it, 3.2 or so should be fine for most part, just keep an eye on your temps.

even with aftermarket coolers you might not get much more out of it as AMD cpus don't typically overclock much unless they are the black version.

i have a 445,, i've only moved it a couple hundred mhz myself -- you probably won't notice much difference anyways may be best to upgrade the vid card or the cpu for a more noticeable experience

That's interesting because my Phenom II 925 has a 2.8GHz stock speed but will run happily at 3.5GHz.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2011 1:34:36 PM

Proto, you are also running a phenom,, the 445 is athlon part which will make a difference as well.

my chip ran fine at 3.7, but I don't really run in to too much cpu bottlenecks currently, so i don't have a reason to keep it there,, it may go higher as i never tried.
m
l
!