FSB setting to match RAM

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have been overclocking my system for a while now, but it has never been 100% stable - it crashes from time to time while playing newer games (not always, but enough to know that something isn't set right). I'm not new to overclocking, but there's a piece of information I seem to be getting different (and conflicting) feedback on and so here I am to clear up the issue. I'll get straight to the point:

I use 8GB of g.skill DDR2-1000 memory, the rating of which, of course, doesn't post automatically, instead it's at 800 by default. I have the option in BIOS to FSB/DRAM ratio but given the preset ratios, it's not possible to attain 1000Mhz - so what I have done is I adjusted the CPU FSB frequency to 250Mhz, thus giving me the 1000Mhz RAM speed along with a 1:2 ratio. I know that ratios don't matter with AMD processors, but the option is there and clearly it has an effect on the speed of the RAM. The issue is this - no matter what voltage I give the CPU, Prime95 results in BSOD within a mere 3-5 minutes. Temperatures seem within normal range. My aim is to maintain a stable 3.6Ghz CPU speed, and to be able to run my memory at the specified settings. Should I be adjusting the voltage of other components as well? Thanks for your time!

imageview.php
[/URL][/img]

imageview.php
[/URL][/img]

imageview.php
[/URL][/img]

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the feedback - jsc I did as you suggested, in fact that's how I had it for a while but even with that friends were giving me confilcting ideas. I settled back on the 1:1 and now my PC is 100% stable not only in synthetic benchmarks but also in real-time usage. I did not notice any speed differences between 1:2 and 1:1 ratios, however, with 1:1 I can tighten the timings which in theory should be better. Anyways, thanks and cheers!