4000 series or wait for dx11 5000 series?

josh7331

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
So I'll be buying a new graphics card soon, question is to wait for first gen dx11 cards or a good last gen dx10 card? Gaming is my number 1 priority plan to buy battlefield bad company 2, crysis 2, swtor, and maybe STO. Or just wait till mid December for a decent dx11 card.

What would you do?

(please don't flame me for stuff like, "this thread was posted like 100000 times!!!" :( )

Also for my specs I'm running
AMD Phenom II 945 AM3
Diamond 3850 pci-e 2.0 (dx 10.1 shaders 4.0 one)
2gigs of ddr3 ocz memory (plant to upgrade to 4gig within the month)
585 watt hec PSU
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (yes a 1 slot solution budget am3 board)
the rest of the specs are important aka hard drive, drive, and sorts

Thanks for advice in advance :D

draconia34

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
keep the psu watts in mind when upgrading . also the 4 gig ram will take a bit more power too. btw nice setup !

if your not going to upgrade the psu and your going for a big card(ie: 4870x2 and higher) you might stumble upon some un-noticed-blame-it-on-the-card faults like bsod or restarting , when it is actually just asking for more power that cant be given :) or it could be ram problem too.

if your not going to overclock i guess the psu will be ok. but still i would recommend upgrading that when buying a new dx11 card.

Personally i would wait and see what the cards perform like when they are released and reviewed. Getting a new card now and seeing that these new cards are better for the same price or a bit more would really hurt.
If the DX11 enhancements work as expected then the performance differance should be worth it but at this point all of us are guessing. Some of us maybe educated guesses but mostly just putting two and two together and assuming it makes four.
(Thats not a dig at anyone just where i think we are all at with these new cards now) :lol:

Mactronix

Not quite the same this time around though. This time they are dealing with a somewhat more known quantity, that and they are not getting mucked about by MS moving the goal posts to suit Nvidia (although there is still time).

Mactronix

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I think that you should wait. Not only will you see if the newer dx11 cards perform better at a resonable price, but you should see a price drop of the cards you were probably going to buy now.