Sign in with
Your question

Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question

Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2009 4:50:03 PM

Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Desktop that I would like to get more out of, as I really don't want to have to buy a new pc right now. I have 1.68GB RAM to be exact., other than that, the PC is stock.

Compaq Presario SR1710NX Desktop PC

Base processor
Sempron (P) 3400+ 2.0 GHz
1600 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c00572527

I have no experience at all in changing a cpu, but I have read that the

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core 2.0GHz Socket 939

has been used by other people to upgrade their PC to a dual core cpu.

I would like the expertise of you here to let me know if it would be alright for me to purchase a AMD 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 and swap it with the cpu I have now.

If it were switched, how much of a benefit would I get, or would i just be better off to get another pc.

I dont play alot of video games on my pc, but I would like to play Left 4 Dead and maybe Left 4 Dead 2 when that comes out, but that isnt the biggest reasons for me to make this pc faster. If i can't bring this pc up to speed to play those games, ill just play on a xbox360.

I would like your opinions, and helpful links if possible, in what I can do to make this pc last longer.

thank you
October 15, 2009 5:52:13 PM

Newegg doesn't even sell 939 sockets anymore. It's a long dead platform which means you will usually end up paying way more than what you should.
I would save up for a new computer, budget builds can be built for 5 to $600 and the speed will be way more than a 939 would ever do.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
October 16, 2009 2:34:17 AM

You may get a slight performance increase, but don't spend too much. Find one used in one of the "for sale" forums for like $40. Make sure it comes with an AMD heatsink, which is easier to install than some of the premium ones where you have to remove the motherboard. I use anandtech's forum; computer geeks, ascendtech, 3b tech, and starmicro, which only sells bare oem cpus.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
October 16, 2009 7:35:11 PM

im guessing u useing onboard graphics considering your ram is 1.68 u should try getting a dedicated video card u should see some improvement with that
m
l
!