Advice welcome - Micro ATX, i5-750, USB 3.0

b82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hello,

I am about to start buying for a uATX (micro ATX) computer with a Core i5-750. I did have the P55M-UD4 motherboard in mind, and until recently I was pretty confident that is what I wanted.

When Gigabyte brought out their new USB 3.0 feature that gave me a dilemma because they didn't introduce it for the uATX P55 boards.

They have introduced it for the very soon to be released H55-USB3 and H57-USB3. Both of these are uATX, as desired.

Should I buy one of these (even though the i5-750 doesn't need the onboard graphics features)? Or should I buy P55M-UD4 and then also buy a Sharkoon USB 3.0 adapter later? Or perhaps I should wait. But what for?

MIcrocenter just posted the i5 650 for $149.99 again; right now it's online, but may change to in stores only if demand is high. You have to research your motherboard first to see if it will run this without a bios flash; the cpu is so new.

b82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Hi there, thanks for replying. However with all due respect I am not interested in the i5-650 (even though I have considered it). I will be using the i5-750 (seven fifty) as I said in my original post.

Please re-read my original post. My question is about various motherboards of micro atx size, made by Gigabyte, with and without USB 3.0 support.

If anyone is wondering whether H57 will support Lynnfield, the answer is yes it will. Perhaps I am asking too soon before anyone knows, or can say anything about the H57-USB3.

When are the NDAs expiring on this product? It must be very soon, surely?

b82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Did my post not make clear that I do not have the motherboard yet, and that I'm asking about which one to get?

To clarify: the processor is decided on, the motherboard is not.

lollol

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Wow those guys need to read better next time! :D

I would get the one with the USB 3.0 chip integrated for overall completeness

bye!

b82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah but have you looked at the motherboards I specifically mentioned?

The P55M-UD4 is clearly meant as a higher grade product, look at the MOSFET and VRM area for example.