Budget gaming build

rawirig

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
proposed build:

mobo: asrock p45xe (supports crossfire in 8x mode)
processor: core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz
memory: 2x corsair cm2x2048 pc6400 2gb dimms
graphics card: his ati hd4850 512mb
hdd:western digital caviar 1tb sata 7200rpm 32m
optical drive: samsung sh-s223d 22x dvdrw sata
power supply: cooler master eXtreme 650w
monitor: viewsonic 22" vx2240w 2ms
case: already have atx case with fans not sure of manufacturer

just a few questions
anything i should change?
will it play crysis?
will x8 crossfire be good enough for two 4850's in the future?
also will my psu be enough for two 4850's in crossfire?
i also plan on overclocking my cpu, any speed reccomendations?

thanks

jbakerlent

Distinguished
1) Looks like a good build but you could always check out AMD options as well (I can give you a good setup if you want...) Also why not just go for 4gb since its ddr2 you should be able to find some for cheap
2) Yes at moderate settings
3) Yes it will still make a good upgrade
4) Yes
5) I'll leave that for someone else since I don't have any experience with the Core 2 Duo line

AMD will be cheaper in this price range for the same performance .
Also intel is dropping socket 775 this year and i dont think its the best idea to buy the last of any tech because its obsolete faster

It will play crysis btw . I have an e7300 @ 3.33 GHz , 2 gig of ram and a 4850 running XP and crysis runs about 35 FPS on high .
Its an utterly crap game though so I played it one and binned it

rawirig

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

would an AMD Phenom II X2 550 be better? if so, what motherboard?

jbakerlent

Distinguished
The specs seem good, but I don't know much about ASRock so I'd maybe wait to hear from someone who's had one of their boards... Yes hybrid crossfire will still boost your computer's performance.

rawirig

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
thanks for your help :sol: i am now gona search for reviews on the phenom 2 and the motherboard :),
2 more question's:
how well does this cpu overclock and what kind of chances do i have in unlocking the 2 disabled cores?

Asus is the parent company of asrock, they are supposed to be pretty solid boards. I dont think that Asrock one is one of the ones that you can unlock cores on, it should OC pretty good without the cores enabled, if you enable the cores its all up in the air as to whether it will even be stable at stock.