CPU Fan a bit too loud ?

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've had a Pentium 4 3.06 GHz processor for quite some years now... I recently opened the case, unscrewed the CPU fan, removed the heat sink below and unmounted the processor that was sitting there for quite some time... I was not surprised to find great amounts of dust that had accumulated over time... So I cleaned till everything was all spotless and put them all back... When I booted up the system I found that the fan was humming a bit too loud... Especially when the CPU load is heavy, Like playing a movie or multitasking, the fan hums loudly and then after about 30 seconds get backs to normal... Anything wrong with the fan or the way I reassembled the components ? Why is this happening ?

Please Help... The noise is quite irritating and scaring the *** outta my granny :)

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
you need to reapply thermal paste.. something like arctic silver 5

also if you blow out the fan too much you can cause it to overspin and then you need a new fan. it does something to the bearings/motor.

rebelraider

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
helo guys i am having the same kindah problem i had this p4 3ghz cpu which was not used 4 a long time and nw i took it out and i t seems ok but the problem is the sound its very loud .... i put a new chassi fan and aslo replaced the heat sink compound which was between the fan and the processor but still it starts up at 93 degrees.... i used the hmoniter and it also showed more than 80degrees..soo is there any thing else i can do t jxt to make the fan sound go alil less louder... and most of the time when the cpu temp goes above 90 it freezes and i have tto restart the cpu .. icant do works that requires hight processing power... well actually i cany even extract a singlt 7 zip archive with it

so is there any thing ican do....

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
@ rebel raider.... i replaced the heat sink paste... and i worked gr8 for me... maybe u should start a new thread and ask ppl... this is a old thread and ppl wouldn't notice... and i'm not really good at hardware stuff...