Radeon HD 4870

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I recently bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870. i hooked it up and everything was fine, and tried my best at installing all the drivers (I have CCC 9.7).
But when i wanted to play WAR, WoW, cod 4 or any other game it just crashes. (not to desktop just "poof" power off) At first it took like 10 minutes, then 5, then 2 and now whenever I try again it crashes after 5 secconds.
I don't even get any artifacts.

The card is hooked up properly and the fan is working and since it crashes after 5 secconds i dont think it has to do anything with the heat.

I also tried using ati tray tools and setting it to max speed.

Nothing helps

Please help, Vincent

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Also, what card and drivers did you have before you installed the 4870?

What do you mean 'tried my best at installing all the drivers.'? Did you have problems installing ccc 9.7?

Did you uninstall all the old drivers before you installed the new 9.7 drivers?

Sorry for all the questions, but they are necessary in order to understand you problem.

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I'm 15 and i dont know alot about pcs
so you would have to tell me where you can find PSU's watts

my previous card was a radeon x1550

and i dont think i uninstalled the previous drivers

but they are both ccc arent they?

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

i think its 250 W

but the PC is a Acer T180 if you want to look it up

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
way too small of a power supply,and the 4870 req's 2 -6 pin power connectors connected to it.do u have any power cables connected to the card?cause i doubt that psu has any.

shamanwraith2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi Vincent,

Congratulations on your video card purchase.
The reason your PC shuts down is there is not enough power available for the card with that power supply.
I would recommend buying a quality power supply with at least 400 watts to replace your current one.
A power supply from Antec, Corsair, PP&C, Seasonic, etc. should last for the years to come.
I can also recommend Thermaltake and CoolerMaster brands with at least 500 watts, if you don't mind a shorter warranty period, but want to save some money.

ROFL...oh my...
You need a quality PSU that is 500W to power a 4870. Running in 2D mode (e.g. just in Windows, or running business apps) it doesn't use much power, but start up a 3D game, and it needs way more than a 250W PSU can provide. It is good that your PSU hasn't simply burned, but shuts itself down. It is still possible that the rest of your system is being hit with irregular voltage as it does so, so I would not keep trying to use it.
Oh, and a "quality" PSU isn't the $30 special down at the local computer shop, with the LED fans and shiny case. There are a lot of other choices, but just to keep this as easy as possible, go down to your local Best Buy and get an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU (or better, order it online from newegg.com). Do NOT choose any of the Dynex or Huntkey or whatever other"house" brand Best Buy is selling these days, even if they have "700W" on their labels; they are inferior products. If you take an interest in PSUs, among the best review sites are www.jonnyguru.com, www.hardocp.com, and www.hardwaresecrets.com. The latter also has some good tutoria articles on how a PSU works. You'll also find reviews of those Best Buy house brand PSUs, explaining why they are crap.
Hey, I'm really glad your PC hasn't simply fried, but that was sort of funny...

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

yes i got 2 cables in the box and i could hook them up both on the psu

but you should really look it up yourself because there were alot of different values on that sticker :s

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

OK thx all, now i know what the problem is :)

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

thx

i'll try to find one in belgium

Good brands include Antec (except Basiq; those only if none of the others are available), Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax. Look for 80+ certification and Active PFC (although isn't the latter by law in Europe now?). If it is 80+ certified, it had to survive being tested at 100% load, AND was at least 80% efficient at 100%.

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

# THERMALTAKE http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/rf/voeding/767_827_103
# Enermax http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/rf/voeding/767_289_103
# Corsair http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/rf/voeding/767_293_103
# Advance http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/rf/voeding/767_296_103

these are the 4 brands available.
(I'm buying them from www.pixmania.be)

which one would you take?