ATI radeon HD 4650 question

Den807

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
hi, i just wanna ask if the ATI Radeon HD4650 512gb ddr2 compatible with an Intel processor like the intel core 2 duo e7400, cuz mostly, the radeon are for amd so i thought it wouldnt be compatible.

And another thing, which would be a good brand, Force3d or PowerColor? thanks for the advice guys

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Yes. The video card's processor and memory is independent of the computer it is place in. This video card can have DDR5 memory and be placed in a motherboard that uses DDR2 memory. Like, I said, they're independent of each other, so it doesn't matter if the CPU is AMD or Intel. The only problem that may exist is if the motherboard is PCI-E 2.0 compatible or not, as this card is 2.0, and if your PSU has enough wattage to run this card. You didn't specify the model or make, so I'm not sure if the card has a 6pin power connector on the back or not. If it does, then you'll need a molex to 2x3 pin adapter if your PSU doesn't already come with one, like this: http://www.directron.com/ad201.html

My personal choice would be Powercolor. But if I may say, if your PSU has enough wattage, skip buying a DDR2 card and go for a card with DDR3 memory. They're about $100 or less and they'll give you the speed you're looking for. I picked up a Powercolor Radeon 4850 DDR3 1GB for $113 at Directron.com - and Egghead has it for less than this with rebate (however, after CA state tax and shipping, it's more than what Directron sells it for). You'll need the 6pin power adapter for the 4850's.

Edit -

I took a look at a few 4650 cards and it looks like they don't have the 6pin connector in the back, so you won't be needing that adapter.

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Since when? I have two FX5200 cards running on an old Dimesion 3000 (PCI) and a Dimension 4600c (AGP), both Pentium 4 processors.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Since always. If it can fit in a slot (PCI, AGP, PCIe, VESA, etc) it works. Standard are developed for that reason so that there aren't proprietary interfaces for different platforms. The notion that nVidia cards work better with nVidia boards, and similarly with ATI/AMD is just plain wrong. It is a misconception of the un/under-informed.

@OP, the 4650 does not need auxilliary power, but then neither does the 4670, which is considerably more powerful. If you want to play 3D games, and either cannot afford a stronger card, or don't have a strong enough PSU, I would suggest getting the 4670. If you want to play 3D games and do have a decent PSU (not merely wattage; quality is far more important), spending as little as $30-$40 more to get a 4850 will be much better for gaming.
If you're not going to play games, and are looking for a card for watching movies, then you can save money by getting a 4350.
PCI 1.0 cards will work in PCI 2.0 slots, and vice-versa.

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

No kidding. Why are you explaining this to me? I wasn't the one that said ATI works with Intel and Nvidia works with AMD; I was the one disagreeing with him.

bishoplord

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
My bad. I know you just now made it clear to me, but when you said:

"ATI cards work with Intel CPU and Nvidia cards work with AMD CPU. "

I read into it that you were saying... ATI cards will only work with Intel, and NVidia will only work with AMD. That's where I got confused and was like, "since when?!" LOL