Looking to BUY a CPU cooler. Any Recomendations

anew3rd

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I got a new machine i7 950 3ghz with standard fan in my HAF case with 12gb of Ram and a single Geforce GTX 260 video card the CPU temp through the Bios is steady at 40c. I never got an additional CPU fan before. But I figured with all the componets I might as well get one to help keep it cool. I am not over clocking at the moment. Asus P6TD Deluxe Intel X58 Socket LGA1366

I was thinking about getting one of these coolers: Approxitmate Price willing to spend $65 - 130.00
- Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan
- Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler
- ULTRA ChillTec 939/AM2/775/i7 Thermal Electric CPU Cooler

I read all good reviews on each of these just wondering if any has tried these and what they think or if there is another band that they would suggest.

I was also thinking about maybe getting something to cool off the ram as well. Saw the V10 cool master, but the reviews where not as good.

So Tell me what you think.

Thanks

xaira

Distinguished
the v 10 and the chilltec are monsters, i dont know why someone would go thru that stress, might as well do water,

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_B_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_LGA_775_1156_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_Hot_Item.html?tl=g48c373s960

Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer

Spire thermax ii

if you wanna spend alot and still have the convenience of getting to ur ram, get the v8

anther beast
http://www.pro-clockers.com/cooling/726-tuniq-tower-120-extreme-cpu-cooler-.html

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
save yourself some cash and stay away from those Coolermaster pieces of shite if you're overclocking in the future.

Scythe Mugen 2
Titan Fenrir
Thermolab Baram
Cogage True Spirit

or if you're doing some extreme overclocking

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Revision C (or the TRUE Black Revision C) AND MAKE SURE IT'S REV C because the base is flat then (you can tell because the Rev C has a boomerang-shaped hole cut into the bottom fins)
Prolimatech Megahalems (or Mega Shadow if you want it black)

and put a pair of 120mm fans on them in a push-pull set-up

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
the thermal diodes on those chips sometimes dont register below 40C as they are for overtemp protection not to report idle temps

what are your full load temps?

The Spintech Q has done me justice, granted it's attached to a C2Q. Never the less, for the price, you can't ask for more. I'm just unsure of what kind of heat the i7's put out in comparison to a C2Q.

anew3rd

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Rand_79 says, " what are your full load temps?"

Its a new machine, and waiting for the NEW OS to come out so I can run it in 64bit, I am not sure what type of load I will be getting, The machine is going to be running 3d programs (Autodesk Maya, 3d Studio Max, Zbrush, Phyx, Particles systems)

anew3rd

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

Its a new machine, and waiting for the NEW OS to come out so I can run it in 64bit, I am not sure what type of load I will be getting, The machine is going to be running 3d programs (Autodesk Maya, 3d Studio Max, Zbrush, Phyx, Particles systems)

anew3rd

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Revision C,

Just looking though and saw that the price of these are not that bad. but I was wondering IS there a paste out there or Gel that you would recommend? Is there a difference in the grams?
■Arctic Cooling MX-2 - 4 gram ■Arctic Silver 5 - 3.5 gram ■Arctic Silver Ceramique - 22 gram I would assume the thicker it is the better....