bobroham

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Is it possible to make a certain folder on my PC sync with my USB drive every time I plug it in, or something along those lines? Thanks

Solution
Well...

What you need is an app that will kick off when you attach the USB drive. I've got an old Maxtor One-touch drive here at work; it has a button that you push to run the preconfigured backup software.

I personally would just set up backup software to backup that USB device, and then run it when I plug in the USB drive. You could create an autorun.inf on the USB drive that runs this for you, but then you'd have to enable autorun. I keep autorun disabled for security purposes.

One trivial approach is to use uSoft's briefcases. Create a briefcase on the external drive, copy the folder into the briefcase. When you attach the drive next, right-click on the briefcase and choose synchronize all. It will even copy files that you...
Well...

What you need is an app that will kick off when you attach the USB drive. I've got an old Maxtor One-touch drive here at work; it has a button that you push to run the preconfigured backup software.

I personally would just set up backup software to backup that USB device, and then run it when I plug in the USB drive. You could create an autorun.inf on the USB drive that runs this for you, but then you'd have to enable autorun. I keep autorun disabled for security purposes.

One trivial approach is to use uSoft's briefcases. Create a briefcase on the external drive, copy the folder into the briefcase. When you attach the drive next, right-click on the briefcase and choose synchronize all. It will even copy files that you updated on the USB drive back to the hard drive.

So there are some options. I don't know of any way to do exactly what you described, to have plugging in the USB drive trigger a sync.

Solution