A bit confues regarding PSU and GA-790FX-DS5.

MysticX

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I currently have this Gigabyte mobo and a Cooler Master 620W whereas it had been giving me huge problems during the holidays and it resulted that I extracted the mobo and everything from the chassic and was going to return it. Then, it came to mind maybe there is something wrong with the PSU or I connected it wrong.

Then the system stopped starting, meaning pressing the power button powered anything up, the fans started spinning but then nothing happened. No picture, no beep no nada.

Windows error message:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

The manual states:
"With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the
components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the
power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses
a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation.
The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not
connected, the computer will not start.
• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand
high power consumption be used (400W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not
provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
• The power connectors are compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V and 2x10 power
connectors. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector,
remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on
the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers
when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector."

So, with my 620W CM coupled with ATI 5770 Sapphire, I used a 8-pin+24pin power connectors and while reading those lines, I am starting to wonder if I only should have used a 4-pin + 24pin connectors?

Btw, it´s a molex module.

I am going to test the mobo again with a different PSU, HP W700WC3 which has a whole set of wires, so the thing is, should I test it with the 8-pin or the 4-pin?

Stats:
CPU: Phenom X4 9650
Mobo: GA-790FX-DS5
RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX
PSU: Cooler Master 620W (will be using HP W700WC3 to test)

I am thinking about putting it back together tonight after I have been informed in what to do.

MysticX

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Well, I finished putting it together again, and still it power up but nothing happens and no beeps at all. No bent pins, tried different RAM, VGA PSU. Only thing I can´t replace is the CPU but I guess I have to resend the motherboard.