Help overclocking this PC

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
Last response: in Overclocking
August 9, 2011 1:41:46 PM

I am new to overclocking. I have an ASUS PC with an AMD Phenom X6 processor 8GB RAM, ASUS 450 GTS video card, and a 500 watt power supply. I want to overclock both the processor and the video card. Do I have enough power? Will my computer get to hot? The processor speed is 2.9 gHz. What is the max I can overclock my cpu and video card while still staying safe? What programs could I use to overclock, or do I need to use the BIOS?

More about : overclocking

a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 10:58:42 PM

It is generally recommended to OC using the BIOS, as some Windows-based software doesn't always correctly adjust the settings you'd change.

As for how far you can go, that is the fun part about learning and trying. Here are somethings to know:

1. Get an aftermarket CPU cooler Frozencpu.com or Newegg.com are good places to browse.
2. Provide specs or a link to your PSU for better comment.
3. With OCing, the temps will increase. This is a simple equation: speed + voltage = heat/temp.
4. Set your RAM to manufacturer's spec before starting your OC
5. Disable Cool n' Quiet, as you don't want the mobo to turn off your fans

Once you've satisfied the list above, start your OC by:

1. Raising your multiplier by .5 until Windows fails to boot. Usually your system will restart or BSOD just before Windows when the CPU speed is too high for your current settings.

2. When you've reached step 1, reduce the multiplier by .5 until Windows boots again.

Here's where the fun begins...

3. Increase vcore if you want to go higher than step 2, but don't go higher than 1.5V, or you'll risk frying your CPU.

4. Use Prime95 (download it) to test for stability. Use the Blend test for about an hour. Note that most of the advance/professional OC'ers on this forum recommend Prime95 for 24+ hours. While this seems a tad much, it does give greater certainty that your system is stable.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 1:07:44 AM

Please gives us all your spec, Every little spec that involve in overclocking...
Spec Needed for us to know:
CPU HeatSink: What kind of heatsink it is and is it push/pull?
RAM: gives us Speed+Voltage+Timing of it and/or model of it...
GPU: what speed(Core Clock/Shader Clock/Memory Clock) of it and what kind of cooling it got...
PSU: How much RAIL it got and/or what's the Brand Name/model?
Case: Do you got high air flow in your case such as intake and exhaust. Take a pic of your PC/Case but if you dont, tell us what case you got and how fast+big the fan is...
MotherBoard: What Brand Name is your motherboard and/or and or model... Ex.) Asus SaberTooth 890X AM3+/Asus Maximus IV AM3+

NOTE: Your PSU will be enough but im not sure you can OC as far, if it immediately shutdown than i recommend pulling power off and pull the CMOS off for few second just to reset it, your PC will only take about 5 second to shutdown... If it's unstable, you'll get BSOD instead of shutdown/power off which is the PSU not enough Watts...
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 3:05:53 PM

What processor do you have? If it is not a Black Edition you will have to simply up the NB frequency and the cpu voltage. If it is a Black Edition, you can simply up the multiplier while you up the cpu voltage.

However, do NOT overclock your gpu!!! The manufacturer already maxes these out when they engineer them.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 10:28:34 PM

ahthurungnone said:
What processor do you have? If it is not a Black Edition you will have to simply up the NB frequency and the cpu voltage. If it is a Black Edition, you can simply up the multiplier while you up the cpu voltage.

However, do NOT overclock your gpu!!! The manufacturer already maxes these out when they engineer them.

It's not maxed out you tard LOL... My Evga GTs 450 FPB got me to 900CoreClock 1800ShaderClock and 2050MemoryClock...
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:57:19 AM

buy a CPU Cooler first if you really want to OC..
m
l
!